Remember me
Lost Password Register

Nice images on www.mndiver.com
03-23-2005, 10:09 PM,
Nice images on www.mndiver.com
Chris, aka MNDiver and moderator for the Public Safety Diving board, has a pretty cool site at .  Nice images, Chris!

The Crosby pics look familiar (I know that huge smallmouth has chased a number of us around!) and having recently returned from Cancun, your pics of Coz captured much of the sea life I recently had the privilege to visit!  Kinda bummed me out too since my vacation bank is negative right now... :-\

Care to share what kind of equipment you're using?  What would you recommend to someone interested in getting started in  underwater photography?

Thanks!
- Dan
03-23-2005, 10:59 PM,
Re: Nice images on www.mndiver.com
Thanks for the positive feedback on my site.  I really appreciate it.  It is my first attempt at a website.  I really hope to add some more MN photos this summer.  I just got to dive more…….

My current camera is a Nikon D70 w/ 18-70 DX lens, Ikelite housing, Ikelite DS125 strobe.  For the Cozumel trip I had two strobes.  The Flower Gardens I used a Nikon Coolpix 5000 in an Ikelite housing. 

It is hard to suggest what to start with.  You could check out wetpixel.com and digideep.com for some in-depth camera information and from there, narrow down what you want.  Then try to borrow/rent/beg one or two similar models for a pool session to see what you like in the water. 

I know I did not start liking the images I was getting until I got the Digital SLR and big strobe.  The fast shutter on the DLSR makes a huge difference for fish photos.  I like digital because experience is a great teacher and film/developing is not cheap. 

Chris
03-24-2005, 08:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-24-2005, 08:08 AM by tpscuba.)
Check out the photos, VERY GOOD I've been so busy with the dive site project that  I haven't picked up my camera for almost a year, but that will change this year.  I have to agree with you on how to start. It's hard to find the more quality cameras and housings to rent our borrow. We did get a loner from Light and Motions for a good client. Made sure it was insured $6,000.00) he got to have it for a trip and he did buy but went the next step up. I sold my still equipment and went didgital video still.
03-24-2005, 10:36 AM,
very nice
I suddenly feel the urge to skip work and dive.

of course my dry suit needs repair and I'm not ice certified Sad
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !