Remember me
Lost Password Register

What is your Deepest Dive:
03-28-2005, 01:37 PM,
Re: What is your Deepest Dive:
Yep! :o
03-28-2005, 01:54 PM,

You go deeper than 130' by getting lots of training and lots of dives in your logbook. My favorite expression is the ocean does not stop at 130' but to see more you have to get more training more gear and more dives under your belt and you have to be willing to spend a lot of money.

You also get into more gear, bigger tanks or rebreathers. Pony bottles for decompression stops, and just decompression in general, hence the more training. But mostly deep diving is all about training and discipline...
03-28-2005, 06:48 PM,
Eric
Sorry about that reply it is just that I have seen this tropic turn into a testosterone,chest beating, ego trip.

"The "Basic Scuba" forum is just a general forum for anything scuba related that doesn't fall into one of the other specialized forums.  It isn't necessarily "Basic" as in beginner or OW diving so it should be alright here.  Looks like we have a lot of different responses in this one.  Obviously those that have the deeper dives are tech divers.  You are right though, how deep one has dove is not something one should boast about since scuba is not about competition but I don't think that was Eric's intent when he started this thread.  Judging by everyone's response I don't think anyone is taking it that way either which is good. "

I just thought it would be interesting to see what people would say, and to hear all about the different dive sites. I don't really care if your deepest dive was 20' at Square Lake or 300' on the Gunilda. When you tell people you are a scuba diver what is usually the first thing they say or ask you? "How deep do you go?" My intent was just to hear about fellow divers deepest dive and where they did it. Deep diving is not a competition nor is diving in general. But for me my deepest dive to date was a very important accomplishment for me and maybe some other divers out there feel the same about their deepest dive.

eric
[/quote]
03-28-2005, 06:58 PM,
That is the deepest for Recreational diving. If you  want to dive the wrecks in Lake Superior you will just scratch the surface at 130 ft. I am diving a Rebreather, Dry Suit, Argon, Electric Underware, and mixed gas. All of witch need a lot of additional training. I have taken classes every year that I have dived and this is the 16th season for me.

03-29-2005, 07:32 AM,

"The "Basic Scuba" forum is just a general forum for anything scuba related that doesn't fall into one of the other specialized forums.  It isn't necessarily "Basic" as in beginner or OW diving so it should be alright here.  Looks like we have a lot of different responses in this one.  Obviously those that have the deeper dives are tech divers.  You are right though, how deep one has dove is not something one should boast about since scuba is not about competition but I don't think that was Eric's intent when he started this thread.  Judging by everyone's response I don't think anyone is taking it that way either which is good. "

I just thought it would be interesting to see what people would say, and to hear all about the different dive sites. I don't really care if your deepest dive was 20' at Square Lake or 300' on the Gunilda. When you tell people you are a scuba diver what is usually the first thing they say or ask you? "How deep do you go?" My intent was just to hear about fellow divers deepest dive and where they did it. Deep diving is not a competition nor is diving in general. But for me my deepest dive to date was a very important accomplishment for me and maybe some other divers out there feel the same about their deepest dive.

eric
[/quote]
[/quote]

No thats cool, chest beating was not my intent on this thread since in the relative scheme of techincally diving I really haven't been that deep... I was trying to generate some postings and dialog on the broad...

eric
03-29-2005, 07:41 AM,
[/quote]

What kind of Rebreather do you have? I have toyed with the idea of getting one, but there is still something cool about putting all of that gear on...

eric
03-29-2005, 09:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-29-2005, 05:14 PM by Mark Y.)

You 'forgot' HID & back-up lights, stage bottles, SMB, computers, back-up slate.....  ;D

Two more questions:

(1) Was your deepest dive planned or did you just go for it?

I must admit, my first deep dive, at least what I considered deep, was in Cozumel (89 ft.).  I've found it difficult to plan dives in Cozumel (and other dive vacation destinations) as unless you're renting the entire boat, you just go with the flow and dive what the operator tells you to.  So much for planning!  Well, I had just received my training (OW)  and was a bit apprehensive.  Since then, I made it a point to get additional training.  I also plan my dives, especially the deep ones and if we put a limit on the depth, we stick to it.

(2) How deep to you plan to go?

I don't know about any of you, but my original thoughts where, 'I'll never need to go deeper than 60 ft.'  And I suppose I never needed to, but I did.   A trip to Whitefish Point, Michigan, opened the world of Great Lakes shipwreck diving to me.  There I knew the Dolphin SCR wasn't going to cut it.  So in due time and training, I was making deeper dives on the Inspiration.  My goal is to reach the depth limitation of the Inspiration, but not before I'm ready!

Do remember to do some retraining/practice dives this season before you starting reaching into the deep blue (or greyish-black) yonder!
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
03-29-2005, 10:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-29-2005, 11:46 AM by Appolion.)
I never knew divers can go past 130' with special certifications.
03-29-2005, 03:41 PM,

Well, anyone can go deeper than 130 ft., even without special certifications; you can go to 1,500 ft. if you want, but I doubt you'll be back....  when you hit 131 ft., you don't automatically die.  I hate to say it, but I'm sure a few people on this board have gone deeper than 130 ft. without any special certifications.

130 ft. is an established limit for recreational diving, based loosely on no decompression & gas limits.  I guess, for me, depth came with a desire to see the wrecks beyond rec limits, not on 'my deepest dive is', and for that I sought training and advice from experienced divers.  You should do the same, even if you have no intention of going there yourself.

Enjoy Diving!

'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
03-29-2005, 03:53 PM,
I don't know when we hit 130 ft with chuck after being giving a max depth of 120 he wasn't happy 132 might have killed me  ;D
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !