Remember me
Lost Password Register

Looking for ideas for 2003
08-07-2002, 06:52 AM,
Looking for ideas for 2003
Hi all, just wanted to get a feel for what you'd like to see on the mnscuba.com site for 2003. What features you use, don't use, would like to have but don't yet exist, etc. Any suggestions will be appreciated and considered.<br><br>Thank you,<br>Chris
08-07-2002, 09:01 AM,
Current Dive Conditions Database
Just to get the ball rolling... Jason had an excellent idea that he shared with me.<br><br>Have a page of current diving conditions (vis, water temp, thermoclines, etc.) that is regularly updated by divers. As he stated, this would require some custom development, but would be a HUGE asset to the site. For this to be worth while, we would definately need your cooperation in keeping the data up-to-date as much as possible so that would mean we would all have to get out and dive! I know, it's a lot to ask. ;D
08-07-2002, 03:16 PM,
Re:Looking for ideas for 2003
Chris,<br>well, of course I'd like to see more freedivers on the site..it would be something if you needed a separate freediving forum..maybe someday.Smile<br> Keeping info out there about the lakes would be nice, it would probably add to the clicks you get too. I'd be willing to post data on the lakes I visit up in the Perham area...about 60 miles e.s.e. of Fargo/Moorhead. We have some really excellent lakes in that area.. about 220 miles from Minneapolis.<br><br>One thing maybe to consider is moving the post "dive buddy list" to it's own cagegory. It would be nice if that was visible on the first page. Make it kinda a requirement for registered folks (not really a requirement,,, but using encouragement) to fill out. Maybe it could be expanded to include a little more personal information as far as where they usually dive, hobbies, age, gender,etc. Here's a site that has gone through a lot of rapid growing changes (pains) that you might visit for some other ideas. I only ask that you check out these two examples.<br><br>http://forums.deeperblue.net/<br>and then take a look under "general freediving" for an example of encouraging the "personal info". I see some folks go back and edit their posts as time goes on. Don't let the "help support us" button give you too many ideas Smile<br><br>Hey, and did you notice.. they even have a scuba section.. at the bottom.<br><br>Fred Johnson<br><br>
Cold and dark down there huh?
08-07-2002, 09:54 PM,
Can I suggest an "equipment for sale or wanted" section?
12-03-2002, 12:09 AM,
Re:Current Dive Conditions Database

If I understand this correctly, by posting information obtained by divers from their past dives, you could start to develope a data base of lake information. So, with enough input from a "Lake X" over the course of a year or more, you may be able to make an educated guess as to what the water clarity is for that lake by the season.

I like it!
12-03-2002, 08:53 AM,
That is correct! And you could also see if there's a pattern by comparing it to other lakes. Could be something that would help determine 'when to go where'.

I don't know where to start on this, but it's definately something I'd like to get done this winter so we can start using it when the ice melts.
12-03-2002, 09:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2002, 09:20 AM by freedivernd.)
I've always wondered about the definition of "vis". I don't mean to complicatet things but sometimes it's so different from surface to depth, or at depth, and I wonder sometimes about everyone's perception of distance. Without dropping a line or running a line I think it's really tough to say what the actual feet of "vis" is. I know I do it all the time but I sure wouldn't stake much on it if you were going to challenge my best guesses with a tape measure. I wonder if there would be some kinda standard to use when describing "vis". ie. excellent, good, poor, etc. or maybe body lenghs... I could see 3 body lengths... Maybe during the lull of winter it would be good to mark the flag line with knots or tape??

edit added> could somebody design this board to automatically fix typos .... looked good when I hit post ??? <

Maybe after reading my own post I decided I'm really just complicating things ;D ...

Just wondering if there could be a good standard for "vis"

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
12-03-2002, 09:14 AM,
re: visibility

we could drop a secchi disk from the surface and
read it....don't know how that would apply to
underwater vis...
12-03-2002, 10:01 AM,
It would at least give us some clue to the vis, excellent idea.
12-03-2002, 10:58 AM,
"we could drop a secchi disk from the surface"

I hope I do not sound to ignorant but what is a secchi disk? Is it like in fishing where they take a white painted disk of known diameter and a string attached to it. Drop it into the water until it becomes invisible and then measure the length of line to get clarity.

I suppose a small version of that could be made suitable for carrying in a BC pocket. At any depth you could take it out drop it away from you and record the length of line. A light line with a knot tied every foot should do it or. Or possibly the buoy line could be used in some fashion. It might even be a fun activity to do during diving. Your buddy could even grab it and swim off slowly until he and it goes out of sight (tug on line), then swim back following the line to get horizontal vis.

I also wish spelling check was part of the board, but instead, for longer messages I compose them in a separate window with a tool that does have spelling check and then cut and paste in into the board message.
Leon