Remember me
Lost Password Register

Two questions?
04-01-2005, 07:37 AM,
Two questions?
I bought a used viking pro dri suit from a local guy last night, the neck seal has some dry rot and has developed a few pin holes, I will send it into brainerd on Monday but I have a chance to do a dry suite pool session on saturday, any way to seal it up for the weekend?  I was thinking electrical tape on the inside for the day. 

Second thing, this guy has two alum 100's 4000 psi, he said they are zero boyancy, they are out of hydro what are they worth?

Doug
AOW
04-01-2005, 10:37 AM,
Re: Two questions?
Try some duct tape on the outside of the neck seal. Have someone put this on after you have put on the suit. This will be neither comfortable nor completely dry, but it might be enough to get you through some pool work. I wouldn't recommend this approach for a real dive. A bigger concern is whether the neck seal is already trimmed to be too big for you.

Something to consider if you are sending your suit up the Superior Diving Repair: you may want to go ahead and also get the wrist seals replaced. If the neck seal is rotting then the wrist seals are likely not far behind. Plus then you get the flexibility of working with new seals and trimming these to an exact fit. Also, have a leak test done for the entire suit. I *think* the cost is around $50 (I could be wrong) but it's money well spent. I've had nothing but great experiences with SDR's work.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
04-01-2005, 11:03 AM,
My plan is to have them replace all the seals and test it, I am just looking for a stop gap for saturday in the pool,

anyone have any thoughts on the tanks/

Doug
AOW
04-01-2005, 11:55 AM,
Like Beeger said, the Kentucky Chrome will probably get you by for a day.  My neck seal split from the top all the way down to where it meets the suit on my first dives of the year at Wazee last year.  I duct taped it and managed to get three dives out of it with no leaks.
04-01-2005, 01:38 PM,
Kentucky Chrome? Haha... that's a new one for me
--Jason
04-01-2005, 03:48 PM,
On the tanks, I've never heard of "4000 psi aluminum 100's".  That pressure is higher than the high pressure steel tanks.  They are more likely 3300 psi aluminum 100's. 
I haven't priced used (or new) tanks very recently, but if they pass hydro, they are probably worth in the $125-150 price range each + hydro.
If you are thinking of buying them, I would make the purchase contingent on them passing hydro.  It's about $35 per tank for hydro testing.

Another thing to keep in mind about aluminum 100's.  They are about 10 lbs heavier than aluminum 80's out of the water, yet only remove about 4 lbs of lead from your belt.

Jeff
Jeff
04-01-2005, 05:12 PM,
I used super glue and aqua seal to put a patch on my neck seal last year after it split open. The patch lasted a month, until I could get it in and have it replaced.

Dan