Remember me
Lost Password Register

Jamaica -Dive Dive Dive
04-15-2005, 12:34 AM,
Jamaica -Dive Dive Dive
Jamaica 2005

When fellow divers heard we were going to Jamaica, most all of them said “the diving in Jamaica isn’t any good.” My thought was this. I love to dive in cold dark mine pits, lakes that have less than 2’ vis and had weeds all over the place. I also love to dive in Cold Lake Superior. So how bad can the Caribbean be. Lets see, coral, fish, beaches, and wet suits instead of bulky dry-suits. To me that is a no-brainer. Well, I’m here to tell you it was great.

The trip came about because a friend and diving buddy had planned a trip with his extended family. A total of 4 adults and 6 younger people, ages 12-22 plus Steph and I. Jamaica was in their budget for that many people and I’m glad they invited us. It was in our budget also. We had planned to go to Truk this year. However our furnace went out in January. It just so happened that the cost of a furnace is about the same as 1 persons Truk trip. We had to look at other vacation options. For some reason Chuuk did not win out over a furnace in January. Especially as we live in Minnesota.

We stayed in a hotel called SamSara, located on the cliffs near Negril. SamSara is a place that has seen better days. Not exactly a 5 star. However the rooms were clean and comfortable and they over looked the ocean. Prices were very reasonable. Round trip and lodging for two people were $1300.

SamSara has a dive shop on site. Not just a representative but an actual dive shop. Two GREAT instructors own it. Armin Engle and Franz Gerentschof. (Franz’s last name may be spelled wrong, sorry Franz).  It is a full service shop. They have shore dives right from there. A small giant stride and you are on the house reef. This reef is in a marine sanctuary so we saw lots of fish and a large variety also. Vis was 60-70 ft and the water temp a balmy 82 f. It is the stores policy to make at least 1 shore dive with either of them before going on a boat dive to determine one’s skill level. At 1st I didn’t think much of that policy however I came to understand it as the week went on. Shore dives must also be accompanied until your skill level is ascertained.

As I said we had 8 young people with us. All of them were anxious to try diving after seeing Steph, Jere and I the 1st day. The other 3 adults that were not certified also wanted to try it. I sat in on the 1st discover scuba diving class with them and was extremely impressed with the course Franz delivered. Jere is an instructor; Steph and I are Dive masters. All I can say is Franz and Armin run one of the tightest classes I have ever seen. All of the people that tried it are going to get certified this summer.

The highlight of the diving came on the last day.  4 of us went on a 2 tank boat dive. The 1st site is called  “The Throne Room” and the second  “Coral Gardens”. The 1st  dive was to 66 ‘ . This site had a very nice cavern, also lots and lots of beautiful coral, and fish.  After a short surface interval we moved about 400 yard to the next site. At this site we swan up on a pod of Dolphins. This was my 1st encounter with the amazing animals. I was more excited to see them than I was my 1st shark. There were 5 in this pod. Boy are they big. I didn’t realize they were that big. After watching them and them swimming around us they left. As we were finishing the dive another pod of 4 played with us as we were doing our safety stop. Really cool. These two sites are nice as they are only about a 5 minute boat ride from the shop.

Maybe the coral is as vibrant as Coz and maybe the fish are not as plentiful however Jamaica diving is very nice. Staying at SamSara was great also. Our room was 100 feet from anything. 100 ft to the dive shop and diving. 100 ft from the ocean and 100 ft from the Bar/ restaurant.

So I say to people go to Jamaica for diving. I would guess there are lots of sites here that are very nice. Marine Life Divers have a website “mldiversnegril.com”
And you can find the SamSara at “negrilhotels.com”
I had some pictures to add, I dont know how to shrink them. Tell me how and I'll add them later.
CJS

Thanks again Armin and Franz
04-15-2005, 07:36 AM,
Re: Jamaica -Dive Dive Dive
Smile sounds like a great trip. That combined with some jerk chicken and some rum drinks with umbrellas and I would call it paradise

Doug
AOW
04-15-2005, 07:40 AM,
sounds like a great time.
and in Jamica they probobly don't wonder too much about the pink drisuit Big Grin
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
05-17-2005, 01:33 PM,
sounds like an awesome trip, two people i was diving with had seen dolphins the day before my open water. I was certified this past christmas in Negril, jamaica (we stayed at Merril's and dove with SunDivers).

quite a few divers said the diving in Jamaica was crap compared to other places. if this is true i am in for one heck of a treat if i ever dive elsewhere.