Remember me
Lost Password Register

David Blaine
05-08-2006, 08:00 PM,
David Blaine
Anyone else think he proved his abilities?  Maybe took on too much and once, but 7 days in a tank.....a 7min 8 sec breath hold..with chains...he failed, but impressed the hell out of me...
Oops Did I really say that?????
05-08-2006, 08:03 PM,
Re: David Blaine
It was pretty cool but he never had a chance on the record. He only started training with Kirk in december and had a 5 mion breath hold back then. He built up to a 7 minute breath hold last month, but no where near the 9 he needed. He helped himslef out by fasting for 6 days prior to the tank, plus all the time in there, but the added stress of chains pretty much sealed the deal that he couldn't do it.

The real trama is to his hands and feet.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
05-10-2006, 11:13 AM,
I the show but had wanted to see it. A 9 minute breath hold is pretty amazing. What is the world record for a breath hold dive? Does anyone know if they are planning to air this again?
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
05-10-2006, 02:27 PM,
The record he was trying to beat was 8:58.  I took one look at the reg and said "that's an Atomic reg..."  then they showed a closer view where you could read it.  Sure enough it was an Atomic!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
05-10-2006, 02:43 PM,
He was trying to beat Tome Seitas's "offical" record of 8:58- although Tom has done 10:03 in practice, it doesn't count unless a bunch of different conditions are met. One of these conditions, no breathing anything other than plain old air- not out of a tank- for two hours prior, would have negated the record even if he had done it. He also had a pretty big "samba" at the end of his 7 minute breath hold so that would have disqualified him in any recognized competition.

There was some wild speculation on the freediving lists that he might breath pure 02 leading up to the final breath hold which would have screwed everything up. Tom has done over 13 minutes after a pure 02 breath up and Umberto has been reported to have done a 19 minute + breath hold after a pure 02 breath up.

If you look in the Guiness book you'll see a long breath hold that no one in freediving counts. That's because the guy did it by first breathing pure 02, for over 30 minutes, at the bottom of a pool and then started his breath hold down there- which means he started with a greater volume of gas, pure 02 no less, than he could have ever gotten on the surface. As his dive went on he kept moving up the side of the pool into shallower water.

The safety diver, Martin, was the former static world record holder at 8:03. He also holds MANY other records in all kinds of different areas. His latest record was a 350' freedive using nothing but a monofin- no ropes, lift bags or sleds!

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
05-10-2006, 03:48 PM,

What's a "samba"?
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.<br />Blood makes the grass grow, kill, kill, kill!
05-10-2006, 04:29 PM,
i think john was refering to the large exhalation of bubbles at the end.  I am no officianado, but i recall something about breath holds having to be a completely controlled situation..ie if you blow bubbles, you are disqualified..if you dont respond to your coach( regular signals) you are disqualified..i am sure there are plenty of other rules.  Maybe john or others can enlighten us
Oops Did I really say that?????
05-10-2006, 08:49 PM,
There are two different types of LMC- loss of motor control. One is where you go unconcious, a Black Out, and the other is where you don't go unconcious, but loose muscle control and may slip into a black out with out assistance- called a Samba. When people "Samba" their body can start to convulse to where it looks like they are doing a dance. Wink I've seen, and helped out on a few, sambas and you can see their lips go purple and they start to shake once hitting the surface. As soon as they take a breath, or two, their color comes right back and they are back to normal- just missing a few short seconds from their memory.

Exhaling air at the end of a breath hold is fine, some people can extend their time another 30 seconds this way. Other things come into play as far as the rules go- no 02, no breathing off a tank for 2 hours prior, no LMC's of any sort, drug testing for records, no assistance from anyone during the breath hold and up to one minute after, looking at the judges when done and giving an OK sign that shows your in control.

They got pretty picky about the LMC stuff after a world comp in 99' where people started "going for it" because of the excellent safety coverage that was provided and they started blacking out in droves- NOT the image the leaders of the sport wanted to portray! :-X

Now there are very specific rules about how you end your breath hold and how you recognize the judges- where they can give you either a red card or a white card depending on how in control they think you are.

Jon
&quot;Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge.&quot; -Charles Darwin