Remember me
Lost Password Register

Question
04-25-2006, 10:35 AM,
Question
Will the price of gas effect your diving plans at all this summer?

eric
04-25-2006, 11:04 AM,
Re: Question
Not mine.  I do most of my diving at the Crosby pits and that is close enough to my house so gas prices will not deter me.  Plus, on the Fun Dives with MSD they shuttle us to our dive location.

Anywhere else I will be diving I will be there for something else anyhow so again gas prices won't affect my dive plans.

Adam<br /><br />www.AdamJohnsonOutdoors.com
04-25-2006, 11:07 AM,
I guess... I just traded off the Ford Explorer (the last ford I'll ever buy by the way) and bought an '07 Honda Fit which is supposed to be super on fuel, it should, it has a rubber band motor,.. it's been sold across the ocean under the name Honda Jazz.. looks good (well, not really it's kinda ugly... and speaking of ugly I really wanted a Scion XB, just the dealer wasn't as willing to work with me on the explorer).  Don't have it yet... bought it sight unseen as the dealers are just getting them in now, should be here any day... maybe today.
other gas saving plans.. I've already slowed the explorer down to 70mph, that hurts but helps save $$, and try to combine errands to cut down on trips to fargo, and we're thinking about selling the speed boat as we didn't use it much the last 2 years.  My wife wants to keep it, but I'm thinking sell so we can use the money for gas in the Fit to travel to dive destinations...can't tow it with the Fit anyway...
These fuel prices stink, we've gotten so used to cheap fuel it's tough to pull up to the pumps on empty and put $50 worth of fuel in.  A round trip to the cities this past weekend cost me almost $125 with the explorer and with 2 daughters there and one in kansas I hope to making some trips to visit them but geez,  I can almost fly for that cost.  The honda should make it easier to plan trips I hope.
o.k... I'm done whining... >Sad
Cold and dark down there huh?
04-25-2006, 11:12 AM,
Hey Adam.. .welcome to the site!  Nice website.  I'm a bit of an outdoorsman too,, mostly into the shooting sports and deer/varmint hunting.. not much on shot gunning but much more into accurate handguns and tack driving rifles (nothing nicer than a good rimfire...).
Do you ever give spearfishing a go?  I hope to get a bit more of that in this summer.
04-25-2006, 11:24 AM,
Yep, unfortunately I won't be doing as many out of town trips this year as I have the past couple years.  Two trips a month at most is what I'm figuring.  Already used up my two this month.  No diving this weekend for me.  :Smile
04-25-2006, 11:58 AM,
I'm replacing the scuburban with an explorer so I hope the fuel consumption will offset the price.
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
04-25-2006, 12:17 PM,
Thanks for the welcome Freediver.

I'm into all aspects of the outdoors including shooting sports.  Do A LOT of deer hunting and such.

I have not tried spearfishing, yet, as I am still new to diving.  I would be interested in giving it a try though.  I have a buddy down in Arkansas who I visit fairly regularly.  Great dive location and there they have a speargun season on walleye (and other fish) and they actually have tournaments run by the local dive shops.  I would love to give that a try sometime.  Dive... See some fish... Shoot some fish... Win some $$$.

P.S.  Sorry about getting off topic.
Adam<br /><br />www.AdamJohnsonOutdoors.com
04-25-2006, 02:58 PM,
As long as Minnesota farmers grow corn and my E-85 optional van is operational...Square Lake is close by, so is Christmas Lake,  Wazee is a nice outing for a weekend, ditto on Crosby area and Mille Lacs!  Driving, diving and camping!!!  We are also planning a week at Lake TenKiller in Oklahoma...My husband is psyched up to do his open water check out dives! 
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
04-25-2006, 04:05 PM,
Probably not.  I may drive my Corolla instead of my Dakota on trips to the North Shore but thats only about a 2 hour drive for me versus 3 or better to Crosby.  No way am I going to be without my 4 wheel drive at Crosby.  I also hate to throw all that wet gear in my trunk.
04-25-2006, 05:37 PM,
Hey MNlakeDiver.. I wouldn't swap out a chevy for a ford ever again.  I'm sure the scuburban would beat the exploder on fuel economy anyday..
anyway, I'm expecting almost a $100 a month in fuel savings based on my mileage driven and $2.50 a gal.. and still having lower payments than I did on the ford... can't go wrong can I? Wink.  It was time to upgrade anyway...
No one will mind if I park on the end of the road at Crosby and ride in with them will they?