Remember me
Lost Password Register

cutting dri suit seals
04-25-2005, 08:37 PM,
cutting dri suit seals
what it the best way to ensure that I don't cut too much off of my new dri suit seals?  what kink of fit am I looking for?

Doug
AOW
04-25-2005, 11:16 PM,
Re: cutting dri suit seals
Buy some large Fabric Scissors from JoAnn Etc, and cut very little off at a time.

Also check this link out at DUI

Dennis
04-26-2005, 07:04 PM,
I just got done adjusting my new neck seal. From the experience of my original seal, you want it as tight as you can possibly stand it. The seal will stretch some after use. As it gets older and near replacement, it will probably feel too loose. You might even to start to get a few bubbles out while you move around underwater, with the resulting water coming in.

My process for finding the size.
I tried the new seal without cutting it at all first. I had spotters watching in case I passed out, but did manage to get it back off in time. :o
I cut mine back using a razor blade while the neck seal was stretched around a coffee can. I had left it on the coffee can for a day before I began trying it on for size. After making my first cut, I tried in on again. It still felt too tight. Not tight enough to stop the blood flow, but pretty darn close. With my gear on it almost does feel like it is choking me. So I stopped there and put the coffee can back in the neck for a couple days. It still felt very tight on my first two dives this spring, but by the third it was feeling perfect.

I can't give you any advice on the wrist seals, I use dry gloves. It doesn't matter how tight or loose they are as long as gloves don't spring a leak.
Cary
04-27-2005, 09:26 AM,
Thanks for the link and info I like the coffee can idea, I have a pretty big neck and I feel like it will put me out if I leave it as is.

Doug
AOW