Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wetsuits for MN
05-12-2005, 08:01 PM,
Wetsuits for MN
I am a brand new diver and am looking to get a wetsuit for use hear in MN. Would love some advice on the right thickness to be looking at. Can you get by with anything less than a 5?
05-12-2005, 08:03 PM,
Re: Wetsuits for MN
I have always used a 7mm, or 3/4 inch
05-12-2005, 08:42 PM,
After writing this, I came across a discussion in April of last year with 7 or 8 great responses about this subject. Should have looked a little further before asking.  Sorry. Looks like a 7mm or dry is the way to go.
05-13-2005, 05:47 AM,
I use a scuba pro s tec 5mm and a hooded vest and that works fine for me.

I went to crosby last september and the water temp was at 48 and I was warm.

good luck

;D
05-13-2005, 07:08 AM,
I like my 6.5 farmer john. when the water is warmer I only wear half and with the dubble layer on the chest I could ice dive with it.
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
05-13-2005, 08:42 AM,
If you're using a wetsuit, make sure it's every bit of 7mm.  I have 7mm Farmer Johns and a 7mm Jacket to go over those.

I used it for ice diving years ago and just recently went to Wazee.  The temp was 38F.  Really wished I would have brought my drysuit along.  I got by but it started getting a bit cold down there.

Pete Mayer
Pete Mayer
05-13-2005, 06:05 PM,
I would think about getting a dry suit instead. Wet suits are only good for half the year and aren't good at all for superior. The cost might be a deterent but other then that I don't know why every diver would not own one. If you must go wet get a 7mm or at least a 5mm. The warmer you are the longer the dive season is in this state.

Just my 2 cents