Remember me
Lost Password Register

Hello, Looking to visit area with MK15.5
05-09-2005, 09:14 PM,
Hello, Looking to visit area with MK15.5
Hi guys,

Im new here and was recommended to check out this forum for advice.

I have a business trip to the US mid to end July visiting Minneapolis and was thinking of taking my MK15.5 along for a spot of  diving.

Is anyone here diving around there and can hook me up? Any adivse on what to do/expect?

Im CCR Trimix certified.  I would like to dive some of the wrecks in Lake superior but open to anything.  What are the 'must do' dives in the area. 

Any rebreather friendly operators?

Thanks in advance
Mike

05-10-2005, 05:02 AM,
Re: Hello, Looking to visit area with MK15.5
If you wanted to drive to Duluth you could try and contact Jay Hanson at Superior Scuba Center.  Here is the link.
05-10-2005, 10:07 AM,
Mike,

We can get you set up for gas and sorb at Going Under Dive Center.  You can check us out on the web at we also have a large rebreather following so getting you set up with a buddy should be fairly simple Smile

If you want to do some diving you can always drop me a line off-list.  Send the email to
chuck@goingunder.net  I am looking for some CCR companions to rack up some bottom time on my KISS  ;D

Where we dive would depend on how long you would be in town.  Minneapolis is about 2-3 hours away from any "good" diving IMHO and if you want to hit the wrecks we would want to charter a boat...CCR diver who is also on this list may be able to help there  Wink

The "best" diving would be Isle Royale which is usually a 4 day trip.  Charters leave out of Grand Portage which is about 5 hours north of the Minneapolis area.  It is a little "out of the way" but if you can fit it in you would not regret it!  8)

Hope to hear from you soon!

Chuck Northrup
Going Under Dive Center
Don't believe the hype!
05-10-2005, 06:32 PM,
Mike and Chuck
Keep in touch I already have a couple of items on my list in that time frame(Noble and Bradley) but I will see if  I can work out something.
Bob
05-10-2005, 10:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-10-2005, 10:29 PM by drmike.)
Thanks Chuck/CCR Diver,

Sounds good.  I will want to get the most out of lugging my gear over so I would hope to do at least 3 or 4 days of diving.  A charterboat would be fine if thats the best way.  I have no problem with a bit of travel if Im going to get wet at the end of it, any depth, location is fine with me.  Isle Royale sound good. 

Ill get back to you guys next week when the visit dates are confirmed.

Thanks again.

Cheers
Mike

05-16-2005, 11:59 PM,
This trip is coming together slowly.

The window is a but wider with dates anytime from 19th June to mid Aug.  Looking at perhaps a week of diving.

I figure as its a long way to go I may as well really make the most out of it.  If theres any trips going out to dive some deeper wrecks then Im up for it.

06-01-2005, 10:13 AM,
drmike, I have reason to believe your business trip may be to the same company I work for.  Someone at work mentioned to me that a rebreather diver was going to be visiting during the same time period you mentioned.  What a coincidence.  If this is true I look forward to meeting you.  Smile
06-15-2005, 02:42 PM,
John J, you should see if you are in the area at the same time? If you haven't seen the MK15.5 yet, and drmike is okay with you taking a peek, its worth a look. Not too many people afforded them.
06-16-2005, 08:38 PM,

Hi Chuck,

That sounds perfect.

Ill be in town from 2nd to 18th July

Any interest of setting something up during that time?  A boat charter to Isle Royale sounds perfect.

Quote:drmike, I have reason to believe your business trip may be to the same company I work for

Hi Lonnie,

Small world isnt it!  Looking forward to meeting you.

06-17-2005, 12:00 PM,
Mike,

I will see what I can do to organize some Isle Royale diving.  I will be up there from the 7-11 of July and would love to have you along but the trip has been sold out for about a year.

Even if we can't make it up to the Isle we can certainly get some dives in 'locally'.  I will let you know what I find out Smile

Chuck
Don't believe the hype!