Remember me
Lost Password Register

Mask Removal w/Hood and Gloves
05-20-2002, 06:26 AM,
Mask Removal w/Hood and Gloves
OK, does anyone have any tips for this skill? I did ok on it, but it was rather difficult to get the mask to completely reseal after I removed it under water. I seemed to have a hard time getting the hood over the mask seals with my gloves on. Particularly in the area where the mask strap is located. It wasn't a fast leak, so I could have dove that way... but would definately appreciate any comments you all may have.<br><br>Thanks!
05-20-2002, 07:00 AM,
Re: Mask Removal w/Hood and Gloves
No doubt, that can be a tough skill to get down.  The key is to take your time and try and get a finger underneath the lip of the hood and then follow all the way around the opening until the mask seals against your face.  You kind of have to pull the edge of the hood out a little way especially on the sides like you mentioned.
05-20-2002, 08:02 AM,
The face opening on the mares hood is too small IMO.  You might want to trim it a bit to make it easier.  I would hate to have to remove my mask with that hood on.
--Jason
05-20-2002, 08:43 AM,
Jason,<br>Which hood did you go with, bibbed on non-bibbed? Not sure if there's a difference in the opening, but I went with the bibbed. I guess the advantage of a smaller opening is more facial warmth. The disadvantage is indeed replacing your mask, but it wasn't impossible, just took some patience and would have been a little easier had I not been numb! ;D
05-20-2002, 09:18 AM,
<br>I'll play dumb here.  I use the standard hood that comes with the isotherm.  I assume that means the "bibbed".  <br><br>I compared the mares hood to my old henderson hood.  The henderson hood opening is about 1/4" larger on all the sides.  That makes a difference when trying to fit the mask skirt under the hood easily.<br><br>I'm going to do some more trimming on my hood until I get it right.  I think being able to replace the mask with little effort is more important than warmth.  I don't think that a little trimming will measurably affect the hood warmth.
--Jason
05-20-2002, 09:47 AM,
Let me know how that goes for you... I've also heard of people taking a hot nail and putting a couple holes in the top to let trapped air out... I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon though!
05-20-2002, 06:44 PM,
<br>Funny you should mention that.  I pulled out my old pen iron after my first dives with the hood.  I think putting some holes in the top is almost a requirement.  That air pocket is annoying.
--Jason
05-21-2002, 02:40 AM,
Last year when I was renting hoods they all had holes punched in them by the dive shop.
Leon
05-21-2002, 03:53 AM,
Hmmm, well maybe it IS something I'll be doing sooner than I thought. Any risks in damaging the hood or water leakage? I've heard some people go as far as to put holes in the hood, and then sew a piece of neoprene over it, which would still allow the air to escape, but slow the water leakage.
05-21-2002, 05:38 AM,
I don't recall even noticing the hole as far as coldness was concerned. It doesn't take much of a hole to let the air out in a reasonable amount of time. So I wouldn't worry about water circulation
Leon