Remember me
Lost Password Register

Laguna Beach CA
06-03-2005, 11:59 AM,
Laguna Beach CA
I dove Dead mans rock from Laguna Beach yesterday.
the vis was about 12-15 feet but there was a ton of life on the reef.
I met a local diver and he lead the dive. we serfic swam about 300 yards out from the cove and desended directly over the rock at 35 feet, this guy knows his nav skills.
as we desended on the rock we saw a lot of colorful fish. at 30 feet we found several octipus, and lobsters. we swam arround the rock and fallowed the reef back to seal rock, along the way we found a horn shark resting in a break in the reef that kept the water moving so it could be still.
as we approched seal rock we saw a fast moving shadow we belive to be a sea lion ( there were about 15 sunning themselves on the rock. we continued along the reef untill it was in 15' of water then slowly made our way n to the beach at 15'
the water was 61 deg. and I was looked at strangly for only wearing the bottom half of my farmerjohn (they think 61 is cold)
I was invited to dive on Sat. but my wife thinks I should go th the wedding we are here for instead :Smile
If you get in the area stop in at Laguna sea sports they dive the coves every morning before the shop opens and will tell you about the sites.
check out their site at
my wife forgot our camera ang he let her barrow his.
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
06-03-2005, 12:50 PM,
Re: Laguna Beach CA
Sounds like a cool dive, I wish I was diving warmer water.  But no, I am still in my Drysuit and water temp is a cool 38 degrees and I feel warm at my deco stops when the water is around 40 to 50s. 
Go Big, or go home!
06-03-2005, 02:16 PM,
Re: Laguna Beach CA
Its actually called Deadmans Reef off Creasent Cove,  and its an awesome Night Dive.  Shaws Cove which is the next Cove South is also a great Dive.  Little more protected then Creasent Cove.