Remember me
Lost Password Register

KISS CCR
06-03-2005, 02:02 PM,
KISS CCR
What does everyone with knowledge of CCR's think about the KISS CCR.  I dive with a KISS and have found the unit to be so smooth and nice to dive that I bought I will ever go back to OC again.  The unit just breaths like a dream at depths in excess of 10'.  I like the new po2 displays and the counter lungs on the back.  My unit has not had a problem or even a hint of a problem.  Maybe because I haven't enought time on it yet, just under 20 hours on the unit.  I can't wait until I start using trimix in July.  The bailout options are many, and off board gas is what ever you need for the dive.  I either use a 30cf or 20cf off board plus the onboard biluent of 20cf.  I have read what some people have said in regards to onboard 02 and having OC plumed into that tank, but I have not done that.  Most likely will not.  I did read the bailout post for the Bradley by John J. and liked the bailout methods used.  I plan on getting cert. to go to 300' next year, and will have to modify the unit if I want to go any deeper.  This is because the o2 first stage will bottom out at around 10 ata and for those how know what that means (no o2 because ata outside = ata in first stage) not good.  Im not sure what to do to correct this limitation, but will have to find out in the next year or two.  Inaddition to the problem of 02 the canister is only rated or 3hr even though some have and do use it much longer.  Not advicable as your first indication maybe passing out.  Not something you what to do at any depth.  Right now I dive the unit 3 times, each dive being around 1hr long with prebreath and setup.  I use about 50 bar of bil and 02, and is only about 1quarter of the total onboard gas available.  My 20cf bottles of bil and o2 are 200 bar full and I dive them down to 50 bar each or 3 one hr long dives with 50 bar reserve in each tank.  I also carry enought off board gas to deco on if needed.  I have thought of staging a tank around 30 to 50' for deeper dives requireing long deco, just in case I may have a problem and would have to make a OC bailout at max depth and max time.  I have found that carring enough gas to be self contained is both dangerous and impractical.  If you do the planning you would have to carry two 30s and an 80cf just to come close, and that would not give you any room for error. 
Go Big, or go home!