Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wazee report
06-13-2005, 03:23 PM,
Wazee report
With all the rain we've been having the lake is pretty much silty and cloudy.  I dove Friday night and the viz was very bad with the back scatter from my lights I couldn't see that far, maybe about 10ft max.  Saterday was better with some ambiant light, about 15 20ft and murky all the way down to 150+.  the only good thing was the temp above 15' I almost started to sweat at my last deco stop.  Still need the heater for the deep stuff because being underwater for over an hour is just about all I can handle when I spend most of it at 150+. 
Other wise the trip was great only rained once and I missed is because I was diving.  So only sun and fun for me, and my sun burn hurts, mayby I shouldn't stand around without sunblock seting up my RB. 
Go Big, or go home!
06-13-2005, 04:49 PM,
Re: Wazee report
The vis. at Wazee has been slowly degrading for years.  Back in the early 90's the visibility was simply incredible.  I'd like to do a study to figure out what is happening.  Maybe there is something that can be done to slow it or even reverse it.  Is it just silt or is it algae or both?  Does the silt come from tree pollen, dirt, etc?  This spring the worst I have ever seen.  Usually the vis is great in spring.  I'm afraid it might just keep getting worse all summer since the annual trend is decreasing vis untill around October or so when it usually starts getting better.  Down by Hoffa (210 foot ledge) at site 2 it is just terrible-the worst I have ever seen there. 

At the very bottom, vis is good as usual, but you have to go a bit deep deep to see that.  On the positive side, the tech-divers can get in some low-visibility practice I guess.  Tongue

Any limnologists out there that can comment?
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
06-13-2005, 04:56 PM,
Yeah, it's too bad it's getting worse each year.  I'm reconsidering where i go for semi-local  dive sites now.  There are other options with better viz and they're free. 
06-14-2005, 05:53 AM,
The vis up at Crosby this year has been very good even with all the rain. Typical is at least 25 feet and usually closer to 45. Of course you have to deal with rough roads and red clay :Smile Every time I go the Wazee the the past couple of years I feel like I'm wasting my time and money. Further to drive for me, getting charged to dive and the vis has just sucked. I suppose if you want to go down a couple hunderd feet to where its still clear its better than the dark waters in Cosby, but I don't tech dive. So the choice is rather easy for me. Better vis, free diving and parking, considerably more dive sites and closer makes Crosby the choice for me.
Cary
06-14-2005, 06:12 AM,
John J. a question for you
Have you been seeing more rough fish at Wazee through the years?
I watched a sucker the other day at Louise. I was on scr so he wasnt bothered by me. It was amazing how much silt he was kicking up.
Last year I loaned a guy my spear gun and he has been working on decreasing that population quite a bit. We used to we used to see numerous schools of 30-50 of these bottom feeders. After he started the viz at Louise has ben getting better. He doesnt want to decimate the population totally, just thin it out. I really do believe it is helping. The viz has been the best at that pit I have seen in years.

06-14-2005, 07:03 AM,
I totally disagree, I have been diving Wazee since 96', and I don't think that the vis is getting worse every year at all. I have seen unbelievably good vis this year and I have seen some pretty bad vis this year as well. In past years there have been years of excellent vis and years of mediocre vis, I really just think it has a lot to do with the weather and how much rain we get during the spring and summer. It seems whenever the vis is really bad the park is loaded with divers.  I was there is past weekend and thought that the vis was descent considering all of the rain that we have had. I normally dive anywhere from the 10 - 210' range. I like diving the fish cribs and the platform from site #2, or the gazing ball and the flag again off site #2. I don't know maybe I am just glad that there is somewhere else to go besides square or perch.

Just my 2 cents...

eric
06-14-2005, 07:51 AM,
I know that I have seen the viz much better, and the drive there seems so long I just want the viz to be great.  I like diving the lake, have to agree that the charges are something like extortion, and they do nothing to promote diving.  Atleast from what I have seen.  I dive wazee because of the depth and the viz.  If the viz is crap, or at least less than what I want, and there is very little to see in relation to other dive sites, for example shipwrecks, or even airplanes and buses.  I just wish that Jackson County would pull there heads out and put some attactions in that lake.  Then I wouldn't notice the viz so much, and have a better time. 
Go Big, or go home!
06-14-2005, 08:21 AM,
I remember in the past being able to see the gazing ball from scooby-doo.  It's been quite some time since I've seen the vis that good.  This year you practically have to be right on top of it before you can spot it.
06-14-2005, 09:04 AM,
Your right I was there this last weekend and I couldn't spot the gazing ball until I was within 20ft of the ball.  I dropped down the wall to the 135 range before my light got any reflection.  Thats not good viz. 
Go Big, or go home!
06-14-2005, 09:22 AM,
Personally I don't mind paying the entry fee at Wazee.  Then again I buy a season pass every year and have yet to lose money on it  Smile

I think the cost is around $70, considering the daily fee is around $10 it would be pretty hard for an active diver not to come out ahead.  If I break it down by the dive it is less than $1/dive, practically free  >Big Grin

I am happy to see that Jackson county is putting some money back into the park (Paving the road/new privies, etc).  Granted I would like to see more accesses, more camp grounds, and a 750ft Canadian Ore Boat but we can't have everything  ;D

All things considered I think Wazee is the best "local" diving we have, only Lake Superior is better.  As soon as the locals in Crosby figure out what a boon "them thare pits" could be for a floundering local economy I am sure I will go back...AND HAPPILY PAY AN ENTRANCE FEE  ;D 8) >Big Grin
Don't believe the hype!