Lost Password Register

caribou lake
07-13-2005, 08:06 AM,
Re: caribou lake

Embarrass Mine
-Matt
07-14-2005, 05:53 AM,
The one north of Grand Rapids, One of my absolute favorite dive sites as it is NOT A MINE, but a natural spring fed lake would be Caribou. Smile Smile  Now that Ghosch has called one of my favorite places to dive a "shallow bowl covered in silt,"  :'(he and MAKA have also got the location wrong. ???  Lake mine is also referred to as the embarrass pit and is the over by Biwabik, it also has great visibility and yes it certainly is deeper.  I have very much enjoyed diving in Lake Mine.  Most pits ARE deeper than most lakes.  What some divers may need to understand is that there is something to be found that is wonderful in just about every dive location.  :SmileI love diving the pits, but they are not the end all of local diving.  Lakes and  rivers offer experiences that cannot be found in a pit.  Diving is also not ALWAYS about how much water you can get under.  The deeper ya go the less there really is to see.  This is especially true if you like to watch fish and loons and other creatures that live where we like to play.
So I guess my tongue in cheek (or blowing a rasberry) response to Ghosch would not be go jump in a pit, it just doesn't sound right.  Nope I think go jump in a lake would be a better reply.... ;D
07-17-2005, 03:35 PM,
just got back from a week at the buckhorn, actually. that is how i stumbled across the lake. stayed in cabin 4 which i believe is the closest to the lake, at about 20-30ft away. didn't get to do any diving, due to a few factors, lack of buddy,  a fine cold i caught just before going, and a lack of room in the car for gear. did do some snorkeling though. think the vis was down to about 12-15 ft , not quite sure why? buckhorn would be a great place for divers, with the shore diving, as well as the availibilty of a few john boats that one could dive from. not the ideal, but..... there were ample fish, and sunken logs, just as one would expect in a lake, hopefully i got some good pics.  and my response is  i'd rather dive in a silted bowl than any of my iowa sites any day.
thanks for all the input

lance