Remember me
Lost Password Register

Need A Watch
03-13-2003, 10:02 AM,
Re:Need A Watch
I too use the Suunto Mosquito... never had a problem except the one time I had it in the wrong mode before I started my dive. That was user error, as I was playing with it before hand and forgot to switch it back. Normally you just put it on and go in the water and it goes into the correct diving mode automatically when it gets wet (like most dive computers do). This time however I was messing around in the freedive mode or whatvever it's called, therefore it did not give me the details I needed while scuba diving. Once I noticed it, I aborted the dive, found out what the problem was, waited an hour and began diving again.
03-13-2003, 01:20 PM,
ya, me too. I've only seen trouble with my mosquito once and that was when I let someone else use it and forgot to tell them to fasten it loosely on their wrist. Somtimes it wouldn't kick in until depth. The mosquito is my spare and the D3 is the main so I wear the D3 on the wrist I'll have the deepest. Wink 'course, I rarely use them scuba diving.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-17-2003, 03:09 PM,
I went with the Citizen Hyper Aqualand
05-05-2003, 03:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2003, 03:23 PM by freedivernd.)
igotoofar,

I know you got a watch but I came across this today and maybe there's others looking. I used to have a cheap casio weather station that did alt/depth and lasted for years but they discontinued it.. I see they've got another run of something similar at this site. some do alt/depth, others just depth, some do depth w/timer. relatively cheap (less than $80) though and I know when I started freediving current depth, depth of last dive, and max depth was the neatest thing. Not so bad for a dive watch either..

Fred
05-05-2003, 07:36 PM,
Fred,

From me to you, just say no. I got a wild hair a couple of months ago as I was passing through Amsterdam and picked up one of the watches that you have pictured. It doesn't really seem to do any of the functions well except tell time. It specifically states don't use for diving. I took it along for a dive and it was not real accurate. It is also a pretty bulky affair.

JoelW
05-05-2003, 09:12 PM,
that's too bad to hear Sad , that casio weather station I had worked great (it was less than $60) and was v.accurate.. right up until I had a local store change the battery for me.. it soon bit the dust, err water, in the swimming pool. Thanks for the input.
Fred
05-13-2003, 07:48 PM,
Another Suunto Mosquito user here and I only have great things to say about it. Recently picked up the Dive Manager software and I'm starting to plan and log my dives on the computer. Until I picked up my Mosquito, I was using a cheap Armitron sportswatch ($14 on sale at Kohls!) using its stop watch along with my analog gauges... now my backup system.

One thing I haven't pursued yet: before I bought my Mosquito, I was at SCUBA Center in Eagan asking questions and doing my homework on dive computers... one of the tech divers there said you can download software from the Suunto web site to be loaded on their dive computers extending the base capabilities of Air, Nitrox and Free diving modes... Anyone tried this?

Last but not least, I managed to pick up my Mosquito while in Honolulu last Dec. $300 including tax... the best deal I could dig up around the Twin Cities was closer to $400.
- Dan
05-13-2003, 09:06 PM,

Quote:from Javelindanone of the tech divers there said you can download software from the Suunto web site to be loaded on their dive computers extending the base capabilities of Air, Nitrox and Free diving modes... Anyone tried this?
here's a link to an old post here on mnscuba that has a link to a scuba dive profile (in pdf format)
that I downloaded from my mosquito. You can use the sofware without the computer, but it sure is sweet to just dowload the dives and have 'em. I've only used it in air/freedive mode.. there are some freedive profiles here on the board somewhere too.
05-14-2003, 10:03 AM,
Yeah, be careful about having a store change the battery for you in watches. They don't always clean the o-ring before putting the back cover on again. A lot of dried sweat and crud will build up on the back over time in between the back cover plate and outside where the o-ring seals. This area needs to be thoroughly cleaned along with the o-ring anytime you remove the back cover of the watch or you can potentially compromise the water tight seal allowing water in. Just a little tip I learned. Wink
05-14-2003, 11:07 AM,
Those learned tips are never fun! They are effective though :o