Remember me
Lost Password Register

Best Wet Gloves?
06-29-2005, 03:28 PM,
Best Wet Gloves?
Just wondering what people think are the best (warmest) wet gloves available.  The wet gloves I used recently with my rented dry suit in Superior did not do much.  Are there any wet gloves that will provide sufficient warmth in cold water?  Or are they all basically the same?  I know having a dry suit with dry gloves is the ultimate answer, but not ready for that purchase yet (still a relative newbie)!

Thanks.

06-29-2005, 03:48 PM,
Re: Best Wet Gloves?
Try 3 fingered mitts.  They keep my hands warmer that regulaer gloves.
06-29-2005, 03:58 PM,
Dan - the amount you will spend on a really good wet glove would be better put toward getting drygloves.
I know it seems hard to justify, but when I look at the pile of equipment that I bought along the way (wet gloves, 7mil suit, jacket BC, cheap regulator, etc) - and no longer use because I moved on to what I should have bough in the first place - I'd say it's better to bite the bullet and buy the best stuff for your type of diving right up front.
Diving around here, dry gloves are teh way to go with a drysuit. Three fingered gloves are better than 5, but try to work a boltsnap with cold hands in a 3 finger and you'll want drygloves.
Look and ask around, there are expensive dryglove systems and lower cost ones - all better than wetgloves.
Dan L
06-30-2005, 07:04 AM,

Couldn't agree more, I have a whole pile of stuff I rarely use (fortunately my wife does warm water diving, so the gear isn't "wasted").  Ask around the shops to see if anyone is looking to sell a used suit (or post on the site under gear wanted).
06-30-2005, 07:58 AM,
I suggest my wet-dry gloves...  ;D

Which reminds me, I better patch them soon!

Unless you plan on flying south a lot, the only way to really enjoy Lk. Superior dives is diving dry (except, of course, for MNLakeDiver).  ;D

But if you do dive wet, the three-fingered is the warmest, although it does limit your dexterity...
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
06-30-2005, 09:09 AM,
Wet gloves are fine if the water is not to cold, and you dont stay in to long, but for any time and cold water dry is the best and the cost in really not that much more in comparison to purchasing many wet gloves. 
Go Big, or go home!
06-30-2005, 12:02 PM,
DUI used to make a really nice set of wet gloves that I used with my CF200, which had neoprene wrist seals.

I don't know if they are made anymore, but they looked a lot like Unisuit mitts with a couple of important differences. Doughnut seals by the wrists to limit water flow, and not those goofy long "gauntlets" that they also sell. Inside was opencell rubber for a better seal on the back of the hand, with nylon linings by the palm. Back of the glove was thicker than the palm, since that's where all your blood vessels get closest to the skin,  thinner by the palm to make it easier to work underwater.

Aside from those, I now use Picasso 3-finger mitts. The have a double wrist seal, to keep all water out, and biotermic inside for a better seal yet still able to slide them on without too much effort. I don't know where you can get them around here, but Roger sells them in California and I got mine from Europe.

Jon

Attached Files
.jpg   bt_mits_5mm.jpg (Size: 25.74 KB / Downloads: 136)
.jpg_thumb   bt_mits_5mm.jpg_thumb (Size: 15.21 KB / Downloads: 0)
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
06-30-2005, 01:17 PM,
Thanks for all the input.  Sounds like I should save my pennies and look into a dry suit for next year.  Stay tuned for questions on "The Best Dry Suit" next year!
07-06-2005, 01:59 PM,
I won't repeat what others have said about dry gloves but you may wish to consider them.

Currently, when I dive wet and dry I use a 5MM Kevlar coated wet-gloves. The 5MM is warm and you still have dexterity. In my view Kevlar is the key! These gloves are virtually indestructible. I had a pair that didn't have the kevlar and after a dozen dives they frayed pretty badly. I am personally opposed to the three fingered mit because I believe the lack of dexterity is a bigger problem than it is worth!

Although, I will probably go to dry gloves at some point. There is one advantage to wet gloves in my opinion. If you need to take off your gloves to handle clearing an entanglement of some sort it is usually easier to remove wet gloves than dry gloves. Many "muckers" have not invested in dry gloves for this very reason!

07-17-2005, 08:22 AM,

Who is the manufacturer of the Kevlar gloves and where did you purchase yours?  I've also been trying to find warmer wet gloves for those longer, deeper dives. 

Aly