Remember me
Lost Password Register

Oxygen depletion
06-30-2005, 12:39 PM,
Oxygen depletion
If water were let into a steel tank and filled with normal air.  Does anybody know how fast the producing of iron oxiode in a steel tank will deplete the oxygen level, and if there is any other gas byproduct of this process?
07-01-2005, 08:35 AM,
Re: Oxygen depletion
That's difficult to calculate.  Would depend on the time, temperature, pH of the water, how much water was in the tank, the surface area exposed to the water and the pressure to name just a few of the important variables.

It would certainly consume some of the oxygen from the air in the tank.  It would not however, produce another gas as a byproduct. 

I could do a calculation that would estimate the amount of oxygen lost based on a given weight of iron oxidized, and the weight could be converted to a volume of iron, but I don't think that would help much because we would just be guessing at the amount of oxidization taking place in the tank.
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
07-01-2005, 08:44 AM,
ha! I see John J is bored at work today....  Wink
Hey John, still waiting for those calculations of the mass depletion of the universe with a cross reference of the entire scope of all combined blackholes offsetting energy loss of the varying temperatures of each and every sun, nova, supernova in relation to string theorm....
besides how many kilocalories the thought process of all of that calculation will expend.

kidding ;D

You - very, very smart man, no wonder you are an engineer!
07-05-2005, 02:30 PM,
If I'm so smart, why am I not up at Isle Royale this week.  Weather looks great.  Instead, I'm at work,  making satellite parts.

By the way, the answer to your question about the universe is....42.
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
07-05-2005, 07:48 PM,
along the same lines"
Last weekend I was at Louise and a diver was all geared up but complaining of dizzyness. He was all geared up just about to descend and he called the dive. I was with students so I went on my way.
Later I asked somebody else and they said somebody grabbed an analyzer and the air came out at 6%.

I would have to bet that tank had some oxidation to it.
07-06-2005, 09:20 AM,
Re: along the same lines"

Either that or a botched PP nitrox fill, was the tank supposed to have air in it?
07-06-2005, 10:13 AM,
Are you sure the guy's 'tank' didn't say "Ready Whip" on the side of it?
;D

07-06-2005, 02:09 PM,
Wow, Only 6% talk about a one way ticket to hypoxia. Thank god he didn't descend!
07-27-2006, 10:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2006, 11:15 PM by MAXFACTOR.)
RESPONDING TO AN OLDER POST.... BUT  WORTH THINKING IT THROUGH..

JOHN J.    Your response in your above post is brilliant.  However, I do believe that a gas is created with the oxidation of the tank as it rusts inside.  The gas, I believe is CO2.  I will do some futher checking to confirm.

However,  it is very small in quantity, but it only takes a  wee bit to kill ya, and it does also have a nousious, and dizzy effect if your breathing less then 21 and its tainted with other gases.

If I am wrong about this,  I will buy you a beer.

JOE B.

Maxfactor
07-27-2006, 11:06 PM,
and one more thing,    Time would also be the other factor.  Given enough time,  the 02 level could go way down.  And .... as I indicated in the previous post,  I believe the 02 is replaced in partial pressures with C02  and some other trace gases.

maxfactor