Remember me
Lost Password Register

One Piece Wetsuit vs. Farmer John
07-05-2005, 08:35 PM,
One Piece Wetsuit vs. Farmer John
Hello-
I am a new diver and am debating between a one piece wetsuit and a farmer john wetsuit.  My wife also dives, and has used a farmer jane.  We have heard that a one piece is better as it has less leaks, but would a farmer john/jane be warmer?  Also, is a hooded vest the way to go, or just a hood?  I've read some earlier posts, and it appears that people go both ways. 

Thanks!
07-06-2005, 06:13 AM,
Re: One Piece Wetsuit vs. Farmer John
THT98,
In my opinion I believe it could easily go both ways, but suits are a matter of subjective opinion. What feels good makes an inpact on your comfort level while in the water. That being said, there's in a myth in my opinion on many of the suit properties out there. Almost all suits are designed to minimize how much water enters the suit. From wetsuits (normal), to semi-dry (little), to dry (none). Thickness is important for depth as the compression of a suit decreases your insulation against thermal conductivity to the otter environment, but there's also a reason why too much thickness negates productivity, flexibility, and an overbearing amount of weight needed to overcome the suit. All in all, the seals of a suit are a large determining factor of how much water is allowed into the suit and with it flush additional amounts of cooling over you throughout the dive. You can see some threads where many of our freediving guys are going into the deep cold with just 5mm. Its the seals of the suits that make a big difference.

A one-piece suit with proper seals can easily match the thermal ability of a two-piece farmer john. I have seen very few well sealing two piece suits, though some divers have been able to work with their own suits in creative ways. I believe the one-piece designs overall have much better seals against water exchange and are the way to go.

Layering is also much more easily done with a one-piece suit in my opinion. Adding a hooded vest to either suit can be really beneficial.

This might not be a huge help because suits are personal, and like masks, one suit many not be right for another person. If you are going to dive locally without a dry suit, a one-piece quality 7mm or semi-dry suit with some layering is hard to beat for overall effectiveness.

Get diving, the summer is fleeting....
Dirk
07-06-2005, 01:48 PM,
Re: One Piece Wetsuit vs. Farmer John
Leaks?

Wait a minute we are talking about wetsuits right?

Remember while it is true that neoprene is impenetrable by water, it is the seams that let the water in, ultimately you want some level of water exchange.

I agree that personal preference is a factor when deciding between one piece suits and two piece suits but fit is the ultimate factor.

Just an aside...
I believe everyone has different tolerances for cold water. For example I am short and stocky and for the most part I am just a human furnace! I have dived with some people that are cold after they get out of 80 degree water after :25 minutes, meanwhile I was diving in little more than a bathing suit, they were usually tall and thin.

With all that said...
The real question is what kind of diving are planning on doing? Are you going to be a warm water diver that goes on more trips or do you plan to spend more time in local waters?

If you plan to do more local diving and plan on diving deep...I say the thicker the better. Thicker than means you should buy a two piece farmer john.

If you plan on local diving only in the warmest summer months than you would be okay to by a jumpsuit but remember MN has shorter seasons and with a jumpsuit your dive season will be shorter than someone with a farmer john and theirs will be shorter than someone with a drysuit.

If you are only going to go on trips than you have a decision to make and it gets a little more difficult. Most people use just a jumpsuit for ease of donning. Meanwhile their is some truth to the fact that two halfs of a farmer john can give you options. One day you can dive the outside piece the next day you can dive the inside piece, you can taylor it to the dive. You make the call!

From a personal standpoint I have never been partial to the addition of a hood vest. But again...personal preference.

Hope this helps!