Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wings ?
09-04-2002, 06:27 PM,
Wings ?
I have a question for those who use a BP/Harness. What size wing do you use when diving with a single tank?
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
09-04-2002, 06:29 PM,
Re:Wings ?
36#
09-05-2002, 04:06 AM,
36# Pioneer
09-12-2002, 04:58 PM,
Where do you fellas buy your BP/Webing and Bladders? Locally?
Are there more affordable/quality options than Halcyon/OMS/DiveRite?
&quotOh Honey, your'e gonna like this&quot
Ray &amp B
09-12-2002, 05:22 PM,
I purchase my stuff from Brownies in Ft. Lauderdale about 4 years ago. To the best of my knowledge, Halcyon is not discounted although it occassionally appears on e-bay. The web site for Halcyon lists their dealers and I believe the dive shop in Detroit Lakes is a dealer. I personally don't think Halcyon is expensive for what I consider the best. If you are able to compare their quality side by side you will see what I mean. In my opinion, OMS is not in the same league and are quite dangerous with 100# lift and the bungee(bondage) wings. Their are numerous web sites that you can use do research all of this.
09-12-2002, 05:46 PM,
I have my buddy's Halcyon Pioneer 36lb. wing with ss backplate right now that I've had a chance to borrow for a couple dives and I love it. I own a Zeagle Ranger BC now and it's been ok but in my opinion the Halcyon rig is superior to my Ranger BC. My horizontal trim is so much better with the Halcyon and it's much more streamlined without all the excessive bulk. I noticed my air consumption to be a little better with the Halcyon as well most likely due to less drag. I'm thinking about purchasing a Halcyon rig at somepoint but I've spent too much $$ on gear already this year...maybe next year. Smile
09-12-2002, 09:12 PM,
Speaking of the OMS bungeed wings of death, I got a kick out of the picture up on the fifth dimension site taken at the DIR fundamentals class last May at Square Lake. The picture is located in the "Around The World With Andrew G." section. Click on "Minneapolis" under the "location" column and look for the picture titled "oh no look here". ;D
09-14-2002, 08:58 AM,
I'm famous
I had not seen the pictures from the class on the fifthd site. The first one is me. If I am not mixing up individuals, picture 11 is nomads and family.

While I love my Pioneer 36, if I was looking for something local I would try to find the OMS 36#. It is a non bungee horseshoe wing as opposed to the pioneer donut. On the plus side of that OMS is that it is the right size for singles and it is reasonably priced. The downside is that OMS is talking of axing it. I also have a Dive Rite Trek wing. It serves life as a pool wing when I help out with classes so I don't mess up my Pioneer. It is too big without the cords to be a good singles wing IMHO.

As far as plates go, a plate is a plate. They are pretty much all alike. There are several individuals on the net who make them for less, Fred Tagge comes to mind. I believe that his are sold by AUL, but can be purchased directly.

For the harness buy the hardware and make your own. Use softer webbing for the crotch strap and hard stuff for the rest.

JoelW
11-26-2002, 09:01 PM,
You should know that GUE( DIR) they uesd to be with dive rite.The dir is a one way of do things you should be opne mind and look at every thing.