Remember me
Lost Password Register

Andy's dry suits
07-27-2005, 03:06 PM,
Andy's dry suits
Would love to here from divers who have, or have had, an Andy's dry suit. What you like and don't like would be appreciated. I currently dive a Poseidon Unisuit and am considering adding a shell suit to my option list. Right now I am looking hard at an Andy's suit and am also considering a Viking. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
07-27-2005, 03:46 PM,
Re: Andy's dry suits
I dive an Andy's DS3 with the extreme fabric and standard boots.  I added a couple bellows pockets from 5th D and DC drygloves.  Superior Drysuit customized the suit by adding a warm neck collar and extending the arms a little bit.

Andy's suits are a good value.  I also like Diving Concepts suits.
--Jason
07-27-2005, 03:51 PM,
Is that the model with the front zipper? If so, how do you like it. Overall, what do you like or dislike about the suit? Thanks.
07-27-2005, 07:50 PM,
It has the front zipper straight across the middle.  I think a front zipper is definitely the way to go. 

I like the durability of the suit.  I have an average size body for my height/weight so the stock suit fits fine.  Suspenders might be optional and they are an absolute must have item.

The cut of the suit may be a little bigger than a DUI or a Diving Concepts.  The exhaust valve is not in the perfect position due to the front zipper placement. The standard boots are big so you will probably need something like turtles.
--Jason
07-27-2005, 10:52 PM,
I have been diving an Andy's for about 6 years (same suit).  It is a DS3 across the chest front zip that goes from sholder to sholder.  I have wide sholders and I find it eaiser to get into and out of the cross zip style drysuits.  If you are a normal size person, cross chest zip seems to protect the zipper more.  Suspenders are really not an option - as Jason said, they are an absolute must have.  I really don't care for the velcro zipper protector too much.  It always seems to have a tread or something stuck in the "hook" size of the velcro.  DUI's zipper seems to be a better arrangement.

I also agree with Jason on the cut of the suit.  It is a bit bigger than the others that I have tried but gives me room to change up the undergarmets.  The valve location works well for me.  Being a bigger person, I really needed the longer inflator hose too.

I think Andy's is one of the best values out there.  Quality suit for a fair price.  I have been very impressed with the company and they have provided excellent customer service.  I had a problem with the shop I ordered mine from and Andy's helped to get things on track - even offering to send me a loaner suit for free until things with the dive shop were resolved (which they never were).

The local shop I got mine from flat out gave me the shaft, lied, cheated, and stole from me.  I have not forgotten or forgave so I get it serviced in Brainerd as well.  They do good work up there. I had to replace the boots after 4 years and the neck seal after 5.   I has since added a dry hood, dry gloves/rings and Whites lace up boots.  I think the dry glove rings factory installed on the suit may seem like a "nice to have," but look around next time you are up at the Maderia.  How many people have them?  Most!

If you want to see what a 6 year old Andys with about 350+ dives on it looks like, drop me an e-mail.

I also dive a Viking for a County Recovey Team.  You can't beat the warmth of the suit. The rubber is so thick, it helps keep you nice and warm.  The Viking weighs at least 3 times what the Andies does - if that matters to you.  I would not worry about hurting the Viking.  It is one thick tough suit. 

That warmth and durability comes at a price.  For me it is MUCH harder to move in than the Andies.  I can dive either dry suit anytime I want, I almost always dive my Andy's.  It is just eaiser.  

Don't forget about Andiy's Undies.  Again, bang for buck I would highly reccomend their undergarments.  They have held up very well over the years and would eaisly buy them again if I needed any. 
07-28-2005, 05:18 AM,
The newer Andy's suits have a second outer zipper that goes over the waterproof zipper like a DUI or Diving Concepts instead of a velcro flap zipper protector.  That's what Jason's suit has anyway.
07-28-2005, 07:15 AM,
What exactly is the purpose of the suspenders and why do they seem to be so well liked? I'm pretty average build wise, 5'10 and 170 lbs so it appears maybe thier large might work well for me. Anyone tried the Tech suit. Or the cordua material? Thanks for all the advice.
07-28-2005, 07:46 AM,
Also, anyone with experience using the neoprene hood on thier suits  or andy's dry gloves? Thanks again.
07-28-2005, 08:08 AM,
Suspenders are a must for gearing up and for surface intervals.  You can unzip the suit and pull the top portion down to your hips to keep cool.  The suspenders hold the suit up at your hips so you aren't dragging your suit through the dirt.  You can also tuck the sleeves under the suspenders as well.
07-28-2005, 08:16 AM,
Suspenders are a must for gearing up and for surface intervals.  You can unzip the suit and pull the top portion down to your hips to keep cool.  The suspenders hold the suit up at your hips so you aren't dragging your suit through the dirt.  You can also tuck the sleeves under the suspenders as well.
[/quote]

That does sound much easier than taking off the entire suit during surface intervals, which I presently have to do. Thanks.