Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Phalen
07-27-2005, 09:10 PM,
Lake Phalen
Dove Phalen yesterday, Vis was horrible from the surface to about 20ft.  Past that it really opened up. 

-Matt
07-28-2005, 11:49 AM,
Re: Lake Phalen
Did you see my wayward computer down there??? :'(

LOL Smile Wink

Peace,

Eric
07-28-2005, 11:53 AM,
Sorry Eric,  we were on a different part of the lake.  I found a shoe, describe it and it's yours!  ;D
-Matt
04-22-2007, 04:19 PM,
I dove Phalen today, vis was only about 4-6 ft in the 12-30 ft depth range.  Past that it was what ever your light allowed.  Saw a couple soft shelled turtles still hiding out in the mud. 

Also drove past Johanna today, must have been about 4-6 divers in the water.
-Matt
04-22-2007, 04:44 PM,
Matt, you should have given me a call, I would have joined you.  Wow, people were actually diving Johanna?  Was it the PSD team?  I tried Johanna 6 years ago and you could barely see your hand in front of your face.
04-28-2007, 02:38 PM,
I dove Lake Phalan today about 1pm.  I went in at the boat ramp.  With the wind blowing off shore, the vis was  good, about 15 ft.  I ran a line from shore so I could find my way back.  I tried to find the deep (90ft) hole out in the center, but was only able to manage 45 ft.

The weed line ended about 100ft from shore in 12 ft of water, after that there was just a lot of mud bottom. 

I ran 800 ft of line out, I guess I drifted a little left of the hole, based on my map.  I'll need to bring a third reel next time Smile

Temp was 41 ft at depth.

Jeff
Jeff
04-29-2007, 01:55 PM,
Hopefully I can join you next time Jeff.  Sounds like it was a good dive.
05-18-2007, 04:55 PM,
I dove Phalen today, a couple real nice dives.  First was off the beach, Viz was about 12ft in most spots.  Second dive was w/ Eric Myers in front of the wall by the boat house.  Found a few old bottles saw a couple muskie and BF'n blue catfish in a wheelbarrow.
-Matt
05-18-2007, 07:29 PM,
I was able to get a dive this evening into Lake Phalan as well.  I went in at the boat ramp at the N end.  I was trying for the deep hole again somewhere at the north end of the lake.

I swam out 150 ft until I was beyond the weed line in about 15 ft of water.  I ran a line so I could find my way back, and headed out.  I followed what looked to be a natural depression on the bottom, and it seemed to drop off a little faster than before.  I was in 45 ft of water when I hit the end of my first reel at about 400ft.  I hooked up the second and kept going.  It was pretty dark below 45 ft, with the angle of the sun, and the limited vis, I could see about 6 ft to the end of my 10 watt HID light.  It was a bit spooky out there with nothing to see but algae and mud bottom.

I hit 80 ft just before I ran out of line on my second reel.  I decided to turn the dive at that point.  I reeled up all the line, and I could feel the nice thermocline at about 30 ft. 

Max depth: 80 ft (theoretical max is 90ft on the maps I've seen)
Min Temp: 41 degrees
Visibility:  12-15 ft above 30ft, 5-8 below 45 ft.

No real reason to swim out to the hole, other than to say you've done it.  Not much to see, but still nice to get out and dive.

Jeff
Jeff
05-18-2007, 10:35 PM,

I've been down there a half dozen times, you're right that there's not much going on.
-Matt