Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving spots around Battle Lake/ Alexandria area
08-06-2005, 10:32 AM,
Diving spots around Battle Lake/ Alexandria area
Hi!  I am new to this forum, my husband (THT98) and I got certified just this past June.  Now every out of town trip must include a dive!  We have a wedding at the end of the month in a small town named Battle Creek.  Alexandria is located SE of there, not too far.  Does anyone know of any good dive spots in that general area? Thanks!  Amanda
08-06-2005, 03:41 PM,
Re: Diving spots around Battle Lake/ Alexandria area
There's some suprisingly good diving around Battle Lake. (the title said Battle Lake, and in the post it said Battle Creek)

I was up in Alexandria in July and we dove Maple Lake, Eagle Lake, and a few others that aren't worth mentioning. When we was diving Maple Lake a DNR officer told us about Eagle Lake, Paul Lake, and Scalp Lake. We only had time to dive Eagle.

Maple Lake was pretty good, right off of the landing there was a steep drop off that was easy to follow. The visibility was around 10 feet. The only thing we saw were some walleyes which would scatter the second we came within 8 feet, and some anchors. There were few weeds and it was a solid sandy bottom.

Eagle Lake was a lot better than Maple Lake. The drop off was a lot more gradual but it was only 50 feet deep. The visibilty was suprisingly good, probably near 15 feet. There is "freshwater coral" in this lake.......but we either didn't see anything, or it was just some rocks. If you go left (looking out from the access) it's all sand with a gradual drop off. There were a few fish but not many. When we dove it to the right we saw more weeds and fish, but there was a pretty long swim to get to them.

There isn't a lot to see in either of these places, but they're not a bad place to get wet if you want to get in the water and enjoy the visibilty.

Go to the DNR Lake Finder for more information on the visibility, location, and maps.

FYI, the DNR gave Eagle Lake 22.6 ft for vis. You can get air in Alexandria at Scuba Central 
08-07-2005, 07:24 AM,
Thanks for your reply!  I do mean Battle Lake!  The bride to be told me about Eagle Lake so maybe we will have to try that one!  Thanks again!
08-08-2005, 07:06 AM,
In the battle lake area.. lot's of good lakes just north of there.. 20 miles or so.. eagle, paul, scalp (also called seven).  Six is right across the road from 7 can be good, little mcdonald across the road from paul can be good but it's a hit or miss lake this time of the year.  there is dive platforms (pontoons and boats) sunk in 6 and 7, usually lots of fish to see now that the water is warmed up. if you're shore (boat ramp) diving and looking for more depth (50-70') then paul lake is the one to go to. the other lakes will have quite a swim to get to those depths.
Cold and dark down there huh?
08-10-2005, 02:56 PM,
Thanks for your insite.  I think that we are going to give Paul Lake a try and then maybe Eagle Lake.  I appreciate your input!
08-10-2005, 03:02 PM,
I agree, Paul Lake is pretty nice.  I got a chance to dive it a couple years ago. You get some decent depth fairly quickly.  Nice amount of fish in the shallows.  Not a lot to see down deeper but the viz was over 20 + feet.  Too bad it's such a haul from the twin cities to get up there.  There are some pretty decent lakes up there to dive.  It's always fun to get in some some dives at some natural lakes instead of the mine pits all the time.
08-19-2005, 06:20 AM,
How close to Paul Lake is the nearest dive shop for fiils?
Thanks!
08-19-2005, 09:54 AM,
Pink Barracuda is in Detroit Lakes, which is about 15 minutes from Paul Lake.
09-12-2005, 12:05 AM,
Battle Lake is not a bad dive in itself.  The public access is a ways from deep water, as I remember, but I have entered south of the access across from the bowling alley.
Non-divers seem so,  well,  shallow.