Remember me
Lost Password Register

How do you decompress with a buddy
03-11-2003, 02:14 PM,
How do you decompress with a buddy
When you partner with a buddy for a decompression dive, how do you handle a situation where you are using different dive computers (Or Tables, DRE)

Do you just choose one or the other? Find a different buddy if you can't agree? Buddy on the decent and bottom time and try to watch each other while coming up?
03-11-2003, 02:23 PM,
Re:How do you decompress with a buddy
If I'm understanding the question, here's my response...

Always go with the most conservative computer. Better to be more on the safe side than pushing it.

Of course I could have totally misunderstood the question Wink
03-11-2003, 02:39 PM,
Usually when I do deco dives I plan 'em out in advance with the team so we know what schedule we have ahead of us. Depending on whom is on the team we'll go by what everyone feels comfortable with in terms of conservatism and that's the schedule we'll run. We don't dive deco with computers.
Now, if you dive with your buddy and you go inadvertantly into deco go with the more conservative computer. This is not so much about the actual times your computer gives you (as I mentioned before, most computers don't give you a very good profile anyway), but more so you can keep using your computer afterwards. Most computers will lock out if you violate their deco obligations and some won't even give you a current time and depth reading anymore.
These computers are a major pain once you start using accelerated deco (nitrox and/or O2) cause either you bend the sh*t out of them, or you have to hang 'em in the water in order to clear. One more reason to buy a bottom timer - they don't assume you're an idiot.
03-11-2003, 02:40 PM,
Going with the more conservative computer is safer. I think it's generally better to err on the side of caution.
03-11-2003, 02:53 PM,

Yeah, conservative... that's the word I was looking for! I was drawing a blank there, glad someone posted it.
03-11-2003, 03:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-11-2003, 03:08 PM by igotoofar.)
My thought was, If one person is using a dive computer that uses a set of tables/algorithm and the other dive computer uses something different.

Ex. Diver A uses Buhlmann ZHL 16 algorithm.
Diver B uses Reduced Gradient Bubble Model.

03-11-2003, 03:13 PM,
Igotoofar,

are you talking a major deco dive or a couple of minutes at 10ft type deco?
03-14-2003, 08:29 PM,
If two divers are diving with two different computer, i.e. separate algorythms, and both divers are pushing the decompression limits, then each diver should follow the decompression schedule of his/her own computer ! A difference in a few feet could be enough to drastically change the decompression obligation of the two divers. This is especially true when doing multi day repetative diving !! :o

If the two divers are planning very similar profiles, then it may be wise to use tables. ;D

Jeff
03-15-2003, 10:30 AM,
Jeff,

if two people are diving together shouldn't they be diving the same profile anyway?
Now, if there max depth is different by a couple of feet (which is quite normal to happen) and their computers give them very different deco profiles (to the point where if they were to follow the computer's schedule they'd become separated), don't you think they're having a major problem then?
If that's not an issue for you - OK, but I do belive in team integrity, which means that people compare schedules before they start extending them, or you decide to just switch to a BT and tables alltogether - no confusion possible!
03-15-2003, 10:42 AM,
....no confusion possible! freediving... you dive down, you swim up.. now there's no confusion Wink geez, this scuba can really get technical huh?
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?