Remember me
Lost Password Register

Two Rivers-Wisconsin
08-17-2005, 08:08 PM,
Re: Two Rivers-Wisconsin

Thanks,

I shoot a very old MMII with primarily the 16mm lens in cold water.  I have not had any problems with it yet...but I am diving it well beyond "recommended" limits  :Smile

With what I spend on slides and processing I could probably make my money back in a year by going digital  Tongue

Don't believe the hype!
08-17-2005, 08:40 PM,
Chuck,

I used to use the exact same camera and lens well beyond it's limit and never had a problem- although I did notice the auto-rewind had to work a little bit harder at depth. ???

When I went to digital I made up the difference in less than a year. Wink

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
08-18-2005, 07:39 PM,

You are just as likely to get a flood in 20ft as 200ft  :Smile

I probably should just bite the bullet and go digital...there is just something so pure and archaic about shooting slides...even for a hack photographer like me  ;D
Don't believe the hype!
08-19-2005, 07:54 AM,
The monofilament nets on that wreck are scary and they deserve some serious respect.  Looking into the cargo holds, it appears the ship is empty.  Is that the case from inside as well?  I haven't been inside yet, I'm interested to hear about your findings regarding the lengthening of the ship.  The measurements we took on a dive a few months back point to the wreck Jon mentioned above, but some additional clues would be great.  Great pictures, I love the diving Two Rivers has to offer.
08-19-2005, 12:10 PM,
I agree about the monofiliment...an entanglement at depth could be a real problem  Sad

From what I remember there wasn't much in the hold but silt...lots and lots of silt.  I have to admit though I was kind of single minded on the dive.  I was looking mostly at the sides and rafters, not the floor  :Smile

In some spots there is not much room between the ceiling and the silt.  As I worked my way to the bow I noticed it was getting hard to swim.  When I looked down I noticed I was swimming in the silt even though my head was just bellow the rafters  :o

As far as the picture of the seam, I can post it when I get home but it is definitely not the seam I was looking for.  Based on where it was in the ship when I exited it thought it was unlikely.  It appears to be nothing more than the groove between two wood planks  :-\
Don't believe the hype!
08-22-2005, 06:20 AM,
This is quite possibly the ugliest picture I've posted since updating my avatar  Tongue

Attached Files
.jpg   seamlikeaseem.JPG (Size: 95.47 KB / Downloads: 157)
.jpg_thumb   seamlikeaseem.JPG_thumb (Size: 46.21 KB / Downloads: 0)
Don't believe the hype!
08-22-2005, 08:07 AM,
What where you doing up so early!?!?!?!?  ;D
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
08-30-2005, 05:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-27-2006, 11:16 PM by Roger Southwick.)
I've posted some above-water pictures from the trip:

08-31-2005, 09:45 AM,
Cool Pics, I almost forgot that you had those pictures.  Thanks for sharing, I leave tomarrow for diving in Isle Royal, and I hope the weather will turn out ok. 
Go Big, or go home!
08-31-2005, 12:08 PM,
Let us know how your Isle Royale trip goes.  Our rec trip a couple weeks ago was windy with clear skies but it was great fun.  Here are some UW photos from that trip:

I'm comfortable enough using a camera with recreational gear, but with technical gear it's a different story.  After the Two Rivers trip I have a new-found respect for guys like Chuck & CornDogg (and the many others) who get photos of the deeper wrecks.  Nice work!