Remember me
Lost Password Register

Computers
08-10-2005, 05:00 AM,
Computers
Hello,

I am looking for some experiences about the cochran EMC 16 computer. I want to dive a two FO2 mixture and need some info on the exprience on benchmarks and if that is use full, maybe a VR2 is better (VR3 is not on my budget).

Greatings dennis

08-10-2005, 09:18 AM,
Re: Computers
OK, just making assumptions here, but sounds like you are headed down a path to decompression diving (why else would you need two gases?).  I know nothing of the Vr2, but if the "3" isn't in your price range, perhaps you should look at used.  If you look through the past posts on equipment for sale MaykY had a VR3 for sale that I do not believe is sold.  At least that way you know you wont outgrow the computer.
08-10-2005, 01:27 PM,
I have an old Cochran Commander Nitrox and have many dives on it. I have never had a problem with it and think it is a great little computer I use it for a back up. Others say that Cochrans are total crap and not to buy one, my advice see if you can try one. I will say that I just bought a VR3 and have had a chance to get a few dives in on it, it is the nicest computer I have ever owned. It is so easy to use and it is upgradeable which is very cool. The basic model comes ready for air / nitrox for open circuit scuba. The nice thing about it is you can upgrade it as you might move along in the scuba world, if you buy a rebreather you can upgrade your VR3 for closed circuit, if you get trimix you can upgrade your VR3. Where you will have to buy another computer if you say go with the Cochran. Another nice thing in my opinion about the VR3 is, it is just bombproof, it is made out of aluminum instead of plastic and it is very beefy. If you are looking at the VR2 look seriously at the VR3 I think it is only $100-$200 more and it is a better unit. I know that SD&T rents the VR3 if you want to give one a try...

Just my 2 cents...

Eric
08-10-2005, 04:22 PM,
You will save money if you think ahead about what you may want in the future.  I think the VR3 is a good way to go.  Being able to upgrade the software is great. 
08-10-2005, 06:22 PM,
Another option to consider is a Nitek Duo, a great 2 gas computer at only $400, until you are ready to go to 3 gasses. Just a thought.
08-10-2005, 08:13 PM,

I would stay very much away from the Nitek Duo, I had nothing but problems with mine, in fact I had 3 of them die on me.

08-11-2005, 12:10 AM,
Ok thanks for the info, Yes i am getting training to do deco dives in the Northsee (Holland). The water is not deeper than 35 say 45 meters. Soo a two mix nitrox would be a good start. Where i come from a VR3 is 1300 euro say 1400 $ so thats a lot of mony. Well i can take a look around for a good deal. Thats the first reply of any one on some one who dived with a cochran??

Dos the VR3 compensate for cold water (4 °C)  dives

Thanks

Dennis
08-11-2005, 06:51 AM,

The VR3 has user adjustable levels (like most computers in that range) that you can use to compensate for cold water, heavy work load, physiological factors, etc.  It does not "automatically" make any adjustments.  Personally, I regularly dive in water of that temperature range and have never adjusted the settings.
08-11-2005, 07:09 AM,
I paid $1099 for my VR3. I know of 2 shops here in Minnesota that carry them. I am sure there are more but I know of 2.  I bet that if you wanted one they would ship it to you anywhere in the world. In fact I know they would. The 2 shops that I know of are Scuba Dive and Travel, call them and talk to Richard or Stacy, and Scuba Center call the Eagan shop and talk to John Avery. They are a lot of money but they are awesome computers and in my opinion the only computer you will ever need.

Like I said I use to dive an older Cochran Commander Nitrox, and it was a great computer for me, I never had any issues with it and I had it down beyond 200' a number of times. I was out on the Cochran website and checked out the model you are looking at and it seems like a descent unit. How much is it? The only thing I don't like about Cochran computers and I can't say if they have changed this since mine was the gas-switching feature. But reading the description on the EMC16 it doesn't sound like they have. They have a "no hands" switch feature, which in theory sounds great but I found that I didn't like it. How it works is you set the depth that you are going to switch to another gas and when you reach that depth the computer switches to that mix whether you have or not. So it is kind of a bad feature in my opinion I would rather switch the gas myself in case something has changed and I didn't switch or maybe along the dive I switched back to air from nitrox because it does not allow you to switch back. So that is something that I would look into, because like I said I didn't like that feature at all.

In regards to your question about the VR3 and cold water, you can set the unit to be more conservative during the dive and I believe this feature is for cold water, low vis, or altitude diving. The Cochran will do this to. But neither unit will switch automatically.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with either computer the VR3 or the Cochran, after my horrible experience with the Dive Rite Nitek Duo I would not get one of those, but the price is very attractive. If you are looking at all at the VR2, look at the VR3 it isn't that much more money but in my opinion is a much better unit.

Good luck...

eric

08-11-2005, 02:54 PM,

I would stay very much away from the Nitek Duo, I had nothing but problems with mine, in fact I had 3 of them die on me.

[/quote]

Sorry to hear that. I have three of them right now with several hundred dive on them and no problems at all. Easy to program, easy for my older eyes to read, and easy to switch gasses. All that said, I do like my VR3 better Wink,
however on long hangs my hands have gotten cold enough a few times where it was difficult to squeeze the buttons in. For me, the Duo has been great for the price.