Remember me
Lost Password Register

Madeira
08-13-2005, 05:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-13-2005, 05:51 PM by flyboy65.)
Madeira
Dove the Madeira today.  Vis was anywhere from 35 to better than 70 feet!  I've never seen Lake Superior that clear before.  We've had a NW wind now for a couple of days, which sucks the cold water in from the deep...meaning 41 degrees anywhere deeper than two feet.  At the surface it was a balmy 44 degrees. 

This was my first wreck dive, and although I couldn't feel my fingers, toes, and cheeks, I loved it!  Too bad my drysuit has an elusive hole in it...41 deg in a 7 mil wetsuit cools you off way too quickly.

On our way back to Duluth, we still had some air tanks...stopped by the breakwall in Two Harbors...same temp...but I got 4 lures out of the deal, 3 of which are in excellent shape.

Needless to say, a person has to really love to dive to put up with that kind of cold....We had the heat cranked for twenty miles or so on the way home, and the air temp was 71 up there today!

Great diving...

BTW...Innerspace is meeting at 9 AM next Saturday 20th, at the Burger King on London road.  Divemaster Joel will have his boat, capable of about 5 divers.  Well...six if you're REALLY friendly!  He plans on diving either the Ely in Two Harbors, or the Wilson in the shipping canal just out of Duluth.  I was talking to a guy who was diving the Wilson as an ore boat came in.  Said it was just a bit freaky in 80 feet of water, and noisy!  Sounds cool!