Remember me
Lost Password Register

Book "Neutral Bouyancy" by Tim Ecott
04-30-2007, 09:09 PM,
Book "Neutral Bouyancy" by Tim Ecott
I'm a bibliophile newbie, so when I can't do, I read.    I just finished this book (more like a collection of magazine articles), and I liked it.  He talks a lot about the history of diving, but skips a lot of what I'd like to know more about, like how the regulator works, how they figured out how to mix gasses, how many war-time "frogmen" died, what kind of training does a SEAL get, plus a few more topics.

Those of you who are more experienced, how did you like it?  What other diving books are good reading?

What are the five best books on diving?

Thanks

PS  The Saint Paul Library (you know, the one that is open) has this book.  Call number is  GV838.672 E36 2001
04-30-2007, 09:26 PM,
Re: Book "Neutral Bouyancy" by Tim Ecott
One book that I have found that explains how regulators work (In a way that the general public can understand :Smile) is "Discover the Underwater World" by Ralph D. Erickson.  This is the U.S. Divers/ PADI training manual circa 1972.  I picked up the copy on E-bay in excellent condition! 

A little lighter reading....For middle school kids (What's wrong with the picture on the back cover??)  "Dive.  Book One: The Discovery" "Book Two: The Deep" and "Book Three: The Danger"  By Gordon Korman.

And at the moment I'm in the middle of "Return to Treasure Island and the search for Captain Kidd"  by Barry Clifford.

Also, "Diver Down" see the DAN Website for more info on this one, I can't find my copy!  It tells about real stories of dive acidents and what to do to prevent them from happening to you!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
05-01-2007, 08:10 AM,
Another good book I read was "Rapture of the Deep" it is some what of a compilation of one guys experiences from getting certified to becoming an instructor mean while traveling all over the world, some of his stories had me in tears I was laughing so hard!
05-01-2007, 09:33 PM,
I find an art book and a poetry book titled "Rapture of the Deep" in the Library of Congress Catalog.  In books.google.com (an unbelievable site) I can only find references to that phrase in about 250 books, mainly referring to getting narced.  Are you sure you have the title right?  What about the author?
05-02-2007, 08:36 AM,
Yup right title! Author = Michael Zinsley

05-02-2007, 04:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2007, 04:21 PM by DiverQueen.)
Don't forget "Shadow Divers" about the John Chatterton, Richie Kolars expedition to identify the German U-boat in 200+ foot of water 60 miles off shore from New York and New Jersey!

Also, check with VintageDiverMN...he has quite the library of diving related books!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
05-03-2007, 07:35 PM,
dont forget "The Last Dive"..the story of a father and son team of cave divers that ventured into Atlantic Wreck Diving...it flows along with Shadow Divers..sort of as many of the people are the same..I stop there.....a good book as well..also..we are in Great Lake country...pick of some of Chris Kohls books..he is an aithor of Great Lakes wreck diving..while his books aren't novels, they are factual books that tell the story of the many wrecks and also have many pictures to see...they are very imformative and are from a divers point of view
gl
deano
Oops Did I really say that?????