Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ore-Be-Gone Dive Sites are in the water
08-29-2002, 11:25 AM,
Ore-Be-Gone Dive Sites are in the water
Aug 29th 8:00 AM the first speeder was lifted into the water. By 9:00 AM it was sitting peacefully on the bottom. At 10:00 AM the second one was lifted into the water and by 10:45 AM it to was resting peacefully on the bottom. Fish were already checking them out while we removed the bags and rigging.<br>I hope you will beable to come up and enjoy. We are starting the next dive site project and hope to have them in late this fall or next spring.
08-29-2002, 12:29 PM,
Re:Ore-Be-Gone Dive Sites are in the water
Great! Thanks for the update Rick. Any hints on what you have planned for future projects? Smile
08-29-2002, 01:50 PM,
We have two large proccessing pumps to go down next. We also have a school bus donated which I am hopeing to have in with in the next few years. Our first project we were able to get donations of time and equipment I am hoping for a grant to do the next one. We are even looking at an airplane of some sort
08-29-2002, 02:55 PM,
Let's see some pictures of the speeders!<br><br>Also, I'm interested to hear about the process you had to go through to sink these objects. Do you have to physically prepare the objects somehow? What kind of paperwork and gov red tape do you have to go through?<br>
--Jason
08-30-2002, 10:47 AM,
It took us 3 years to pull this together. We applied for grants that were available through IRRRB and got refused each year. If we would of gotten the grants we were going to have area businesses do everything, we were even having Mn School of Diving do the in water lifts. So we took it upon ourselves and we started the cleaning of the speeders last fall and finished up this spring. We went out and aquired help from HG Harvey Contractors who did the lift into the water as a community service. We tried to get some info from Mn. School of Diving on making the lift but they kept themselves pretty vague. Sub Salvage of Rhode Island helped us the most with 2- 4400 lb lift bags. The City of Gilbert picked up the cost on signage which will be put on the wall of the new change facility. Pohaki Lumber used their large trucks to transport the speeders to the site. The city of Virginia donated the use of the large steam cleaner and Paul Hedja the operator donated his time to run the cleaner. US Steel Minnatac donated the speeders and the proccessing pumps and Les Freer donated his transportation of the speeders to the cleaning site. I met with the DNR Headwaters people and we contacted the MPCA for their guidence. The only mine pit that needs any permits is Lake Mine in Biwabik (that a whole other story) The city of Gilbert owns the entirer pit so it is there call and they see the potential to the community to put these attractions down.<br>We should have pictures posted on our web page soon.
09-18-2002, 03:42 PM,
Went down on the new dive sites at Ore-be-Gone Tuesday afternoon. Vis was about 30 ft. and fish are moving in water temp is 66 degrees. Great time to come and dive