Remember me
Lost Password Register

Marshall, Mn dive sites?
09-12-2005, 06:17 PM,
Marshall, Mn dive sites?
???
I may take a wed/thur trip to marshall mn this week.  anywhere/anyone down there help me with dive sites/buddies?  krispy Kremes would be on me ;D
Non-divers seem so,  well,  shallow.
09-12-2005, 07:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2005, 07:48 PM by LKunze.)
Re: Marshall, Mn dive sites?
I'm originally from down in that area.  There aren't any lakes I know of there worth diving.  They're mainly shallow dirty mudholes and some of them have nasty farm runoff and pesticides etc. because many of the lakes are surrounded by farm land.
09-12-2005, 08:43 PM,
So that's where the smell in the wetsuit came from! :o
Thanks,  maybe I'll leave the gear at home......
Non-divers seem so,  well,  shallow.
09-13-2005, 05:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-13-2005, 05:12 PM by flyboy65.)
I'm originally from Marshall.  As stated before, pretty slim pickings. 

There is one place I'd try, though.  It's Lake Brawner...it's part of Camden state park, SW of Marshall about 8 miles or so on highway 23.  I fished there as a kid, and did alot of swimming, and partying down there as a youngster.  Seemed to be fairly clear back then.  They've since emptied it, and restocked.  You may see some fish, and who knows what else in it.  I know I'd give it a shot if I had a buddy when I went back home. 

When I say fairly clear, I'd never seen the clarity of the mine pits up on the ranges.  You might get 15 feet of vis. 

If you dive down there, let us know.

Where you from, Lonnie?
09-13-2005, 06:46 PM,
Balaton...15 miles south of Marshall.
09-13-2005, 06:54 PM,
Yeah, the viz might be ok at Brawner.  I'd thought of trying it sometime too but when I looked at the lake map I found that the max depth is only 18 feet.  Here is a link to the lake data from the DNR. 
09-14-2005, 11:38 AM,
bill

if you are going to be at the lake this weekend I am headed up to help with some docks sat morning but would like to dive in the afternoon.  I will call the hotline and see if you are going to be around

Doug
AOW
09-15-2005, 11:40 AM,
Brawner? I always thought it was Browner! :o That place brings back some memories(although alot of them were fried at that location :-[.Did any of you climb to the top of the tree and dive in? I thought the water was alot deeper than 18' Wink

Holy marshall Divers Batman! I too am originally from marshall
09-15-2005, 03:54 PM,
Hey Nate....

I'm sure you and I both have some stories of that place.

Yeah, I think 30 years ago it may have been alot deeper.  It probably filled in from that inlet by hwy 23.  I was down there when they'd drained it to fix the dyke.  They allowed what I think was "promiscuous fishing", meaning you could take fish by any means other than hook and line.  Randy V.O. pulled some nice bass outa there.

At any rate...the bottom was nothing but mud. 
09-16-2005, 10:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-16-2005, 07:33 PM by Shooter.)
I know there was alot of promiscuous activity :-X when we were there although I don't remember fishing, unless of course "trolling" counts :o