Remember me
Lost Password Register

My AOW pictures from this weekend.
09-20-2005, 02:29 PM,
My AOW pictures from this weekend.
Taken at Portsmouth Mine. The trip was a blast. The night dive was especialy fun. We saw a couple monster Northerns (20-25 lbs. ;D) I kind of freaked out during the deep dive. My mind was racing. Has anyone else freaked out during their first dive like that?  I'm kind of scared to try it again now, althougth im sure I will soon. We went to 70' and the deepest i've gone before that was maybe 35'. Anyway, I thought i'd share em with all of you. I definately need to work on my photography skills. I put some comments in about all of the pics. Some feedback would be great.

-Rory
09-20-2005, 03:28 PM,
Re: My AOW pictures from this weekend.
Probably Nitrogen Narcosis.  I've experienced it several times to varying degrees and at varying depths as have most divers.  I don't think I've ever felt it as shallow as 70 feet though but I have felt it at 90 feet and then not felt it at all at 150.  It's impossible to predict.  You will notice though as you ascend to a certain depth, sometimes just a matter of 10 feet or so it will go away at the snap of a finger. 
BTW, nice pics and congrats on the AOW certification! Wink
09-21-2005, 07:59 AM,

Hmm, 25 lbs. Northerns... you were probably narked!  ;D

Congrats on 70 ft.  You'll be back...

Before I dove beyond 40 ft. I was diving in Cozumel when the divemaster said the first dive would be at 85 ft.  Yes, I was scared but too macho not to dive.  Although everything went well, I swear my bro was narked... he started to go deeper and deeper, I went to get him and he just smiled and smiled!
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
09-21-2005, 09:44 AM,
Nice pictures! Sounds like you really enjoyed your AOW and that is how it should be. Don't worry about the freakin' out it can be a little much to handle at first. I agree with everyone else...you'll be back. Your pictures and comments are dripping with enthusiasm.

A little advice I received might be prudent here:

"Always remember you are going into an alien environment if you aren't the slightest bit apprehensive before you dive then you are either crazy or stupid. A lot of different shit can go wrong when you are diving. The trick is to build a routine that ensures and reinforces safety! Oh yeah, and make sure you have fun too!"

That is how it was told to me, in no uncertain terms.

Congrats,

Eric Myers
PADI Divemaster

09-21-2005, 01:24 PM,
I also freeked out a bit on my first 100 foot dive, it was during my aow training and was on the spiegle grove, and the current was ripping, I held it together but in the back of my mind it has stuck, I didn't go deep again untill a few weeks ago in superior, once I hit 100' I had a ting of it again , I just swam next to an instructor and then was ok.  I don't think I was narked because I felt no euphoria what so ever I felt like I wasn't getting enough air. 

This weekend was the first time i have felt at ease since my aow, I finaly am getting back to the point that I am not thinking about breathing.  I think with time in the water and good experiences things will get back to where I was before my bad experience.

Doug
AOW
09-21-2005, 07:55 PM,
We "landed" at 129' at St. James Pit a few weeks ago.  I was most certainly apprehesive, and really focused on everything around me.  What I felt was dizziness.  We only stayed for 30 seconds or so, and I gave a slanted "thumbs up" to my buddy, and he knew...

The apprehension was more of a feeling of claustrophobia, if I had to compare it to anything I know.  But I feel with 100' more water above me than my average dives, I really need to bring the training to the front of my mind, and be ready. 

My previous deep dive was around 100', and my partner's reg free flowed, and my mind switched so quickly to the training...I grasped my partners bc, and stayed close with him until we got to warmer water, and the situation was fixed.  But, boy, does a freeflow eat up air!

09-22-2005, 09:00 AM,

Especially at 100 ft.!  Try adding a little He (Helium) to your mix... might help with the claustrophobia.
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
09-22-2005, 11:07 AM,

Try adding a little He (Helium) to your mix... might help with the claustrophobia.
[/quote]
And put a nice dent in the wallet  :o...especially on OC.
09-26-2005, 04:50 PM,
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. Knowing im not the only one who has gotten a little freaked out during a new type of dive helps. I don't know if it was nitrogen narcosis. I don't think I could have gotten it at only 70'. I think I was more worried about my reg free flowing. The temp was 41 degrees down there, so it was definately possible. To be honest, im looking forward to going deep again. I think all I need is a bit more mental preparation and im sure more experience will help.