Remember me
Lost Password Register

Going for a new personal best
09-06-2002, 09:04 AM,
Going for a new personal best
Well, tomorrow I'm going to push my limits freediving a bit - getting kinda nervous, like pre-competition jitters I guess. I'm going to Lake Six with Tri-State Divers and will have several suppoprt divers with full face masks and communications stationed along a drop line and at the surface. Gary at Tri-State Diving has been very good accepting me into his dive circle as a freediver, something that some dive shops have trouble with. (this is a plug for Tri-State.. check them out at ) I'd much rather be going down a vertical wall than a drop line but, it's just the lack of scenery. The line doesn't distract me as much as a wall to look at so I end up thinking about holding my breath and that can cut into my comfort level. Well enough rambling... hope the sinusus and ears hold out.

BTW - Gary has said a week ago at 82 feet they had at least 15 feet of vis in Lake Six and has had even more than that below 100feet. I was in Lake Six a few weeks ago and had about 20' feet vis from the surface.

Come along if you'd like - there's room for more divers and I don't turn down extra support. You might give Gary a call at 1-888 SCUBA-DO if you're interested in tagging along - tell him I mentioned it. He'll have a boat - I'll probably have a boat - and also the shore diving is good. Doesn't sound like to many relies will be at the cabin this week-end so you're welcome to check in.

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
09-06-2002, 09:24 AM,
Re:Going for a new personal best
Good luck with your personal record! Sounds like you're doing it the right way and have lots of support lined up. Let us know how you do, whether you reach your goal or not...just come up safely.

Best wishes,
Chris
09-06-2002, 11:42 AM,
Fred, let us know what happens. At this pace we will see you in the world championship next year. Smile

I emailed the store to learn more information about DL diving opportunities. I would like to check that area out this Fall.
--Jason
09-07-2002, 09:44 PM,
Thanks for your well wishes guys - I did add more feet on to my pb and it now sits at -79'. I felt great - I think had the support divers had a bit more bottom time left and had we been in a little deeper water I would have done one more dive to push the numbers even more... BUT I'm NOT complaining!! I (it) felt sooooo gooood!! ;D ;D ;D I surfaced with out so much as a gasp for air - good breath ups, lots of support (Thanks to - Gary, Merl, Ryan, Keith,Tracy, Mike and Diane) great weather, good vis and good company made for super freediving.

Am I riding a high horse or what!!! Smile

I uploaded the dive profile to if you would like to view it. Should be pretty accurate except for temp at depth because I'm not there long enough for it to change.

Fred
09-08-2002, 10:00 AM,
Congratulations Fred, I am impressed, When are we going to see the new world record from you??
Looking forward to doing another night dive with you soon.
Mark
A bad day of diving is still better than a good day at the office............
09-08-2002, 10:15 AM,
Fred,
Congrats! Impressive.
Fast dive- perfectly split w/22s down and 22s up.
If you took a weight down for faster descent, handed it off to a support diver andthen went up, would that be acceptable form?
Dan
Dan L
09-08-2002, 11:40 AM,
DanL,
What you describe using a weight to get down and then returning without it is called Variable Ballast in the freediving circles and there are records/competition in VB. I've used a weighted line before and it's fun to go down with no exertion because when you get to the bottom you still have a very good supply of oxygen left. It's a good way to get used to the pressure and other issues as you go to deeper depths. The nusiance for me is having to pull the weight back up everytime. Even just a 9lb weight does pretty good at taking me to the bottom quickly. It's fun.

The dive I did is called Constant Ballast - what I take with me down I bring back to the surface. Other forms are Free Immersion - pulling down and back up on a line, No Limits - riding a sled down and using a balloon to return, Un-assisted - no fins.

What was really cool was the divers with full face masks and radio communication - although I didn't see the diver at -30' I heard him when he spoke so I knew he was very close (within several feet he told me later). If it hadn't surprised me so I'm sure I could have understood what he was saying, kinda sounded like an old time radio speaker. I don't know if Gary at tri-state rents out the radio masks (not sure what they're called) but that would be great to be able to communicate while scuba diving. I've never looked into that type of equipment before - spendy I would imagine.

Fred
09-08-2002, 04:13 PM,
I have thought they are kind of cool too. I think I have seen the mask for around $400. Of course everyone else needs one too to be really effective. I guess some classes have the DM wear the full mask, the other just wear the receiver with a standard mask.
Leon