Lost Password Register

Cave Accident in FL
10-10-2005, 03:09 PM,
Cave Accident in FL
10-10-2005, 09:58 PM,
Re: Cave Accident in FL
I have been following this one for about 2 weeks now on the Cave Divers Forum
down here...
It is a terrible accident but she is doing a little better but it still not fully responsive as of this last weekend.

I know Rudy has hardly left the hospital since the accident...I have been praying for BOTH of them often and I hope she can make a recovery from this. 

A lot of rumors and such got kicked around down here and I have tried to just ignore them and listen to the facts when they get released.

Again , my prayers for both her and her buddy , Rudy !

Let us all dive safe !

Jean
Luraville , Florida
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
10-11-2005, 09:27 AM,
Sounds like a few different things went wrong from what I read. Sounds like she got the wrong bottom mix, didn't check her equipment, used the wrong gases at the wrong depth.

When you get put in a situation where you have to decide between a possible Aterial Gas Embolism / DCI and passing out and drowning because you don't have enough oxygen that is a terrible place to be. Its definitely, picking your poision.

Glad to hear she is doing a little better, I am going keep them in my prayers!

10-11-2005, 10:58 AM,

I hate to see a fellow diver get hurt. Jean: can you keep us updated on her condition? My thougts and prayers go out to the both of them.
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
10-11-2005, 12:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-12-2005, 02:06 PM by LKunze.)
From what I read on another forum the isolator was closed on her doubles when being filled and the gas wasn't mixed evenly between each of the tanks.  On top of that, the gas was not analyzed prior to the dive.  The accident happened shortly after the switch to back gas.
10-12-2005, 06:32 AM,
In the story, they mentioned that she was breathing pure oxygen on part of the descent.  Is this typical for technical diving?  I've only heard of oxygen being used on the ascent.
10-12-2005, 09:38 AM,
I've not done any open circuit technical diving, but that sounded strange to me as well.  I can't see a physiological benefit to breathing O2 for the first 20 seconds of the dive, it would seem to make much more sense just to be on the Nitrox until switching to the bottom mix.
10-13-2005, 08:20 AM,
It was in a cave so the descent may have been more gradual and taken longer than that but it still seems very strange.
10-14-2005, 12:52 AM,

I hate to see a fellow diver get hurt. Jean: can you keep us updated on her condition? My thougts and prayers go out to the both of them.
[/quote]

Shamre:
I sure will...I check the forum at least 2-3 times a week and I will let you know here if ANYTHING changes etc...

All I myself have heard on the back-gas issue is that it was a heliox/tri-mix type fill and that with the isolator closed she breathed pure helium (or so that is what I am hearing on the forum...).  But of course , anyone hates to speculate. 

Jean
Luraville , Florida
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH