Remember me
Lost Password Register

Poll: Do you get ear infections from diving?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
26.32%
5 26.32%
No
47.37%
9 47.37%
Sometimes
21.05%
4 21.05%
Not if I use ear drops
5.26%
1 5.26%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Ear Infections
09-06-2002, 01:13 PM,
Ear Infections
I got yet another ear infection from diving Wazee last weekend... seems like I get one almost every time I dive there. I've been using 'Swimmers Ear' drops after every dive and that seems to help...I must have forgotten to use them after my last dive Monday.

Argh... I hate ear infections!
09-06-2002, 02:01 PM,
Re:Ear Infections
Chris,
I did my AOW at Wazee and caught swimmers ear. I had never had a problem before, but like you, I now use the drops after every dive.
Mark
A bad day of diving is still better than a good day at the office............
09-06-2002, 02:30 PM,
I should take my vote back and say "once". I've started using a brew of 50% rubbing alchohol and 50% white vinegar most of the time after I dive. I'm acutely aware of what goes on with my ears (like most divers) and told the doctor I was getting swimmers ear... he said no, it's usually red, swollen, and pusy so he give me some mix for something else ... well - one week later it was getting red, swollen, and pusy. Sad The mix I got that time was over $70 to cure it, fortunately ins. paid about 1/2. Now it's the home brew to avoid it.

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
09-06-2002, 02:49 PM,
I got a nasty case of swimmers ear after diving Crosby back in June. I ended up going to the doctor to get some antibiotics and drops to clear it up. I now put "AuroDry" drops in after each day of diving and that seems to be working for me.
09-10-2002, 06:26 AM,
I never used to get them until last April. I went diving for 4 days in a row and got a major ear infection Sad (It hurt to chew!!!).

Now it seems that I have problems unless I use that swimmers ear stuff. I also have had good luck with alcohol mixed with a bit of vinegar.

09-12-2002, 06:23 PM,
Anybody ever use hydrogen peroxide to clean/disinfect ears? Saw it recommended somewhere in the past, but have no idea whether it works or not.
Dan
Dan L
09-13-2002, 03:41 PM,
DanL, People would think you have rabies but instead of foaming at the mouth, you would be foaming at the ear.
I have been lucky so far and havn't had any problems with ears infections. Knock on wood. The only time I use drops is when I get water trapped in the ears. Its an alcohol base and dries the water up.
Does anyone know why some people get ear infections more than others?
GO DIVING!
08-13-2003, 08:34 AM,
I ran out of drops last weekend at Crosby and neglected to buy some more when I got home. Now I feel an infection coming on in one ear.>Sad Fortunately I still have prescription meds left from last year to clear it up. A painful reminder of another important thing to make sure I have in my dive kit. I'm assuming with the warmer water temps we have now that there are more nasty things floating in the water to cause infections.
08-13-2003, 11:36 AM,
Another way of preventing ear infections is to use Doc's ProPlugs. I too am very prone to getting infections. The plugs only let a drop or two of water into your ears during the dive and do not in any way affect equalizing. It's a cheap preventative measure that also alleviates the problem of having an ear full of water for days after your dive.
08-13-2003, 12:10 PM,
Never had eye infections until this year. After several painful experiences (and doctor visits) I purchased a pair of ear plugs (Doc's ProPlugs) - best $8.00 I ever spent.

Drawbacks? Remember to put them in prior to donning your dry gloves & hood. Also, they do impair your hearing somewhat.
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy