Remember me
Lost Password Register

Open Water
04-27-2006, 01:58 PM,
Re: Open Water

Great info, and if there's one or two things I'm hearing in almost every case: Whistle & Safety Sausage.

I would have never though the Sausage would be so highly recommended, but I think its time to get one Big Grin

I really like the "call your mom" advice. Having people knowing you're out, and you're supposed to be back is probably key to getting a search started if someone doesn't know you're lost.
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.<br />Blood makes the grass grow, kill, kill, kill!
04-27-2006, 06:48 PM,
Doesn't hurt to have a nice big safety sausage for signaling. A lot of those little ones sold in LDS don't do that much good with even the slightest wave action. I've got a nice lage OMS one. Once in Cozumel our dive master was waving one of those little ones around like crazy and getting no attention from the boat at all. I pulled out my large OMS and got their attention in seconds. If I'm drifting away in a current, I want to be seen! I never dive the ocean without it, and it has came in handy a few times.

Cary
04-28-2006, 08:36 AM,

there you go bragging againĀ  >Big Grin
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
04-28-2006, 12:04 PM,

there you go bragging againĀ  >Big Grin
[/quote]

Didn't know I could get a bigger one of those from OMS :o
Cary
04-28-2006, 12:35 PM,
What bugged me about that movie is that it really is purely speculation. Since the only two who were actually present out there are dead, nobody really can know what they went through.
04-28-2006, 12:52 PM,

That's true...but still freaky in that it was based on actual events; and their conclusions that they were eaten by sharks since they were never found - although their gear was. I still believe it got the point across about being left out in the Open Ocean.
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.<br />Blood makes the grass grow, kill, kill, kill!