Remember me
Lost Password Register

Fl Fossil diving pics, Report,Bay report
01-31-2006, 04:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2006, 08:47 AM by Shooter.)
Fl Fossil diving pics, Report,Bay report
  Due to an extremely short and notice canceling my ice diving schedule,  I picked up some bad karma along the way.(a.k.a. alyson's revenge)  About the time I was boarding the plane in Minnesota for two to 4 foot seas in the Gulf of Mexico, forecast changed to a three to a five, then to a five to a seven '.  Needless to say my weekend getaway, live aboard spear fishing trip, was canceled. Time to improvise, adapt, overcome, & persevere.  Friday we decided to dive the bay, again, the bad karma must've been following me.  We had three to four float rollers in the bay, which limited the visibility.  So we went over to the flats and proceeded to hunt for stone crabs.  Lot of fun, after you catch the crab,  You remove the claw, release the crab, and it grows a new one.   The claw has to be 2 3/4" long to be a legal catch. We were only able to harvest nine claws See attached pic. We then hit a couple of the artificial reefs in the bay and were able to spear a few mangrove snappers and sheep head.
Saturday, we decided to dive a river for fossils. My dive buddy had just completed a course on fossil diving. Fossil Diving by  Robert Sinibaldi, Ph. D. He had a handy book to identify the fossils, along with some locations we could dive.  We ended up diving the peace River by Arcadia.  If you want to collect more than just shark toothed fossils, you'd need to obtain a permit from Florida.    Cost is five dollars per year.  The conditions were ideal with the one to two knot current and about 3 foot visibility.  One picture will show the bottom conditions that are ideal for finding fossils.  The other will actually show, a mammoth tooth in the location I found it  on the bottom.  Due to the limited visibility and low posting resolution,  You might have to strain your eyes to see it

Attached Files
.jpg   stone crab claw.jpg (Size: 43.51 KB / Downloads: 130)
.jpg   Ben Peace River.jpg (Size: 63.52 KB / Downloads: 122)
.jpg_thumb   stone crab claw.jpg_thumb (Size: 32.35 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Ben Peace River.jpg_thumb (Size: 35.47 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-31-2006, 04:35 PM,
Re: Fl Fossil diving, Gulf Report,Bay report
:Smile :Smile :Smile :Smile :SmilePlease allow us to post more than 2 pics

Attached Files
.jpg   Peace.jpg (Size: 76.03 KB / Downloads: 129)
.jpg   good bottom.jpg (Size: 36.38 KB / Downloads: 129)
.jpg_thumb   Peace.jpg_thumb (Size: 39.42 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   good bottom.jpg_thumb (Size: 30.01 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-31-2006, 04:37 PM,
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :-X :-X :-X

Attached Files
.jpg   wooly bully.jpg (Size: 30.24 KB / Downloads: 128)
.jpg   Partial DaysCatch.jpg (Size: 65.27 KB / Downloads: 129)
.jpg_thumb   wooly bully.jpg_thumb (Size: 26.63 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Partial DaysCatch.jpg_thumb (Size: 34.82 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-31-2006, 04:40 PM,
last 2 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ >Big Grin

Attached Files
.jpg   Turtle Shell detail.jpg (Size: 53.43 KB / Downloads: 121)
.jpg   Teeth.jpg (Size: 40.66 KB / Downloads: 119)
.jpg_thumb   Turtle Shell detail.jpg_thumb (Size: 29.67 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Teeth.jpg_thumb (Size: 25.14 KB / Downloads: 0)