Remember me
Lost Password Register

Corn-eating fish!
09-09-2002, 10:29 PM,
Corn-eating fish!
Jean brought the hot dogs and I brought the corn. The fish came for dinner. Now being the good hosts, that we are, we made sure that the fish had plenty to eat. They actually looked like they had enough. I think I saw a couple with bouyancy problems! Wink

So! I'm on my way home. Thinking about what I had just done. Feeding those little sunnies corn. Can it be good for them? Since corn doesn't digest very well, will it cause blockage in a sunfish? Is this the equivalent of me swallowing whole tennis balls? :-[ Did I cause them to die a slow, painful death? Is the shore line going to have dozens of bloated dead fish? I am sure autopsies will find that corn was the cause of death. :'(

Has anyone seen any scientific studies (probably taking years of research) on the effects of corn-eating fish? Is this act more harmful than good? :-\

Dano
09-11-2002, 10:56 AM,
Re:Corn-eating fish!
Yes corn is bad for fish it bloats them and it won't digest just like rice does to birds that's why you don't throw rice at weddings any more. Try hard pretzles they love it.
No room in a wetsuit for vanity
09-11-2002, 11:44 AM,
After bloating, then what? Will they survive? :-\
09-11-2002, 01:06 PM,
Really not sure about corn eating fish (or should that be fish eating corn? Smile ) but I do know that birds dying from eating rice is an old wives tale. Wink Not throwing rice at weddings so it doesn't get in someone's eyes would be more like it. Birds might eat so much that they can't get off the ground, but the rice doesn't swell up and kill them.

I'd like to know about the fish eating corn too, or peas, or carrots. I've ofen wondered about that. I wonder if hard cat food would be O.K. I usually break open clams to bring the fish around. Maybe worms would be best huh?

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
02-26-2003, 10:40 PM,
A friend of mine just told me yesterday about feeding Alka-seltzers to SeaGulls. He said they start flying away and then drop out of the sky. (This was done many years ago when he was in college) Funny but crule.