Remember me
Lost Password Register

Photog get together
04-04-2006, 09:42 PM,
Photog get together
I have a friend that lives locally and works for Inon. A major distributor of lenses, strobes and other U/W photog stuff. I recently picked up a few items from him and we were talking about!!! what else, diving and photography. He is thinking about a get together at some dive site so you could see some of his gear. He does not have any cameras for you to try but he does have lots of stuff that may work on your existing cameras.
You can look at his wares at

What do you think.
I am talking about "hopkins" at Crosby. late June thru mid August.
Hopkins beacuse I KNOW there will be lots of fish.

CJ
04-05-2006, 02:40 PM,
Re: Photog get together
Yes, interested, but probably can't get to Crosby til later in May.
Steve is really helpful and the Inon stuff is very nice. I'd like to get his opinion on the Inon set up I have and his reco's on settings, diffuser use, etc.
Dan L
04-05-2006, 03:02 PM,
sounds like a great reason to HAVE TO GO TO CROSBY  >Big Grin
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
04-06-2006, 07:38 AM,
now that I've joined the "real camera" society  Smile, I'd be interested if for nothing else but to look, listen, and learn (and also have the excuse to go to crosby, it's a loooooong drive so I need all the reasons I can have besides to go for a just a snorkel).
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
04-06-2006, 09:17 PM,
Fred,
"now that I've joined..."
Did you buy a camera/housing?  What did you get?
We should have a contest on the board, you know - have monthly contests like best weed pic, best silt-out pic, brownest fish, rustiest sunken car, etc etc.

Really, though meaybe the contest thing would be fun.  Forum members could vote for best pic each month.

Anxious to hear about you camera.  And congrats...
Dan L
04-07-2006, 07:30 AM,
the photo contest would be a cool idea, qand now the Fred has moved on I my have a shot at the "best location where a fish used to be as taken with a disposable camera" award  Big Grin
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
04-07-2006, 12:31 PM,
well, I have a new canon A610 on the way from ebay, with an extra 1gig card.  I'll be ordering the housing either this weekend or early next week and I'm pretty sure it will be the Canon  wp-dc90   prices are tough to beat at @ $250 for camera/gig card to the door and around $160 for a housing..  still lots of money in my book but my wife and I have never had a digital camera and she's willing to buy the housing for it since I footed the camera hummmmm maybe I should be looking at the ikelite Wink
04-07-2006, 01:13 PM,
Look at this info on Canon housing vs Ikelite

Ike is listed at $400 vs $160 for Canon.  Big difference!
Ike is rated to 200 ft, canon to 130
Ike can take WA lens, Canon cannot
Both have flash diffusers, Ike diffusermay be farther off lens center than Canon, a good thing.
Ike housing may take lead off your waist Smile

Very cool.  have fun - you'll get some great pics.
Dan L
04-07-2006, 04:23 PM,

I'm a bit confused here... because the ikelite site says it has a diffuser available but other sites say that the lens housing covers up the flash so a strobe is recommended.. and looking at the ikelite housing.. I'd say the lens definitely covers up the flash.  check it out at this site.. scroll down or ctrl f and a610 
04-07-2006, 08:30 PM,
Fred,
I'm confused too.  Ike says "a diffuser is included", but I wonder if he is referring to the deflector used for the optical fiber to pick up flash to signal a separate strobe (eg the Inon optic fiber slave activation).
Go to digitaldiver.net and post the question to Ike on the housings forum.  He will answer.  Or call them - they are really good on tech support.
The deciding factor for me, if you do want my two cents, is the likelihood of wanting a wide angle lens in the future.  The Canon housing seems not to allow any lens add-ons because lens port is not round.  If you are sure you don't want to add a lens in the ffuture, get the Canon housing.
Dan L