Remember me
Lost Password Register

Spring Heels
03-12-2003, 10:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-12-2003, 11:53 AM by ChrisW.)
Spring Heels
So, anyone know how to make spring heels? I'd like
to attach them to my split fins (flame me on fin
choice on another thread please Wink

Or are you just supposed to get the Halcyon jet fins
with spring hells, er, heels?
Or are the Jackie Smith spring heels easy to fit onto
non-jet fins?

thanks,
-chrisw
03-12-2003, 10:28 AM,
Re:Spring Heels
I have an original pair or Farallon sprins that I attached onto my turtle fins with cave line. They work great.

The Halcyon ones look nice, but cost a bundle. Still, if you were using a cheaper fin you could more than recoup the cost compared to split fins- sorry I couldn't stop myself. Wink

You might want to look into the new spring straps from DiveRite. They might be able to click into your existing fins without any trouble at all. Hopefully that will actually be helpful. ;D

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-12-2003, 10:39 AM,
Jason and I got together last summer and made some spring straps for our Mares Quattro fins. Here is the link we used to make ours. If I were to re-make them again I would use stainless steel S-Hooks instead of the stainless steel wire to attach the springs to the fins though. The hardest part of making them was bending that stainless wire.
03-12-2003, 10:42 AM,
You can get spring heal straps at Scuba Dive & Travel here in town. I looked into making them and/or buying springs online, and at hardware stores and it's less expensive and time consuming to just buy them. Plus most places don't carry springs in the size meeded in stainless steel. I can't remember what we paid, but give Rich a call and he can give you the details - i can assure you they were alot less than Halcyon ones!!!!

I have IDI Jet fins (Turtle/Scubapro copy) with the spring heel straps and they are a dream!!!!!! I had to go with IDI since scubapro and Turtle don't make them small enough.

Safe diving,
~groovekitty*
03-12-2003, 10:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-12-2003, 10:44 AM by jasondbaker.)

Yeah, but after doing it wrong a couple times we figured out the process. I bet I could build them in fifteen minutes now. This is the best mod you could ever make to your fins. I refuse to wear fins without spring straps now.
--Jason
03-12-2003, 10:43 AM,
No flame here Chris... but I can't wait to get you into a pair of my freediving fins!
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-12-2003, 11:31 AM,
I have thought about that exact same thing Fred!

I know that the true DIR guys wouldn't like it, oh well, but you could put a pair of spring straps on a pair of Sporasub's or Esclapez's pretty darn easily- at least the open heel varitey. Wink

Oliver Isler, cave diver from France, and Billy Deans, technical wreck diving pioneer, both wore freediving fins with their drysuits. I have worn mine inside wrecks and use them on all of my warm water scuba trips. There is nothing that can fight a stiff current better except a scooter. ;D

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-12-2003, 11:52 AM,
So, do they function nicer/better for ice diving?

But wouldn't the click into fin feature be anathema to DIR?
I mean its almost like not having "REAL" spring heels.
Oh well, I know I am courting disaster just wearing the split fins. Wink

Fred, Jon:
Looking forward to trying those freediving fins...but that
monofin thing...too too wierd.

GrooveKitty: thanks for heads up on availability in town!

gp and jason: *sigh* i dont think i am up to building them
now i know i can just buy some. entr o p y

Thanks all for the info!!
03-12-2003, 11:53 AM,
What is the advantage of spring heels???

I would think it would be more dificult to get a great fit, hard kicking would loosen the feet. Or is that what makes them better? (Maybe to help lower the risk of leg cramps?)
03-12-2003, 12:21 PM,
Manta makes a version that can be used on fins that have the plastic clips.

I made my first set using the hockey puck method shown below.

I think that the cost was something like $14 and I can easily adjust the spring for different footwear, wet to dry for example. It would be less without the hockey pucks. I bought my second set. They are from Manta and don't have the adjustment. It wasn't a big deal for the set of fins that they are on, turtles, since they are only used with my drysuit.

The main reasons for using them are not having to worry about breaking a strap and not having to screw around when putting them on. I can get my fins on and off easier than a stock strap. On a rocking boat that comes in handy. The only way that the fin would come loose is if the spring is too big.

Whichever way you go remember to put some cave line or wire down the inside of the spring to prevent you from pulling the spring far enough to deform it.

JoelW