Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ice diving
02-22-2006, 05:11 PM,
Re: Ice diving
Thanks Shooter for the map,  Maxfactor will be ice diving with you on Sunday.  Let me know what can I bring for food etc.  I assume you have all the gear we'll need to make a fun safe ice dive.  thanks again.  If you don't mind    I will try to get a couple of people to come.
02-23-2006, 08:36 AM,
  Everybody is pretty much responsible for their own gear and their own level of safety.  :Smile   I should take this opportunity to mention that this dive is not sponsored or affiliated with any dive shops. On this thread there been several mentions to Smith diving it should be made clear that those dives were part of my training for ice diving certification.  :Smile I am not a dive master or instructor. I am however willing to share of my limited  resources and skill,  So that we can all have a good time. 8) as those of you who ice dive, you know ice diving is a lot of work.  It works best when everybody pitches in and helps.  Once again, everybody is welcome, the more the merrier.
To clarify further, here is what I am bringing to the party.  I will have the location scouted and ready for the set up on Sunday morning.  I will also have my heated double wide ice fishing shelter for a changing station.  I will have tools necessary for cutting the triangle in the ice.  So far we have two safety lines ready, we are hoping to have a third by Sunday morning.  I will also have a fish cooker to heat water on site and cook hot dogs.
I'm really looking forward to meeting other divers and having a great afternoon!

02-23-2006, 01:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-23-2006, 01:40 PM by tullibee.)
Any idea how thick the ice is?  (are we walking out or driving?)  and is the star on the map trying to show where to access the lake or just general location?  And is there a "better" route than another when heading up from  the Brooklyn Center or Fridley area of the cities? (65 vs 35?

(I'm still on the fence as to whether I can make it, but I'm leaning toward the good side!  ;D)  If so, I'll plan to bring my ropes, tongs, saw, chisel, etc... (I'm getting worn out just thinking about hauling all that out to the truck!)

Probably won't make it to movie and picture night on Friday, but still planning to head for the show by 10:45 or so Sat. morning. (more than likely I'll be wearing a Hawaiian shirt of one color or another - look for the blond haired red bearded guy!)
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
02-23-2006, 02:20 PM,
I'm sure the ice is over 30 inches thick by now.  The star is the general vicinity of my house.  Instead of turning left to go towards the star just skirt the edge of the water until you see the dive flag.  I have a private lake access at that location. I plan on driving out.  However I will have a four-wheeler  there if somebody is uncomfortable driving their vehicle that we can use to haul the gear. We can discuss more gear that you need to haul and other stuff at the show.  Maybe everybody thats going to be there, we can all go out for lunch and fine tune the operation.
02-23-2006, 03:35 PM,

Can non-ice divers come to watch...and ooo and awww as the actual divers slip under the ice....while we're warm above?  ??? Maybe lend a hand here and there?
Sounds like it could be a fun social event? I'm new to the area, and would love to meet some other divers.  ;D
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.<br />Blood makes the grass grow, kill, kill, kill!
02-23-2006, 04:34 PM,
Well I called up to Two Harbors and got an ice report from one of the bait shops.  I was hopeful that with the recent cold weather the ice would have formed in the harbor.  This was just not to be.  This year the harbor is still open on many days and just skimmed on others. :'( :'(  This would obviously not provide anyone with sufficient ice to walk over to the far breakwater.  Oh well...Hopefully next year will prove to be better for ice production.

I'm fighting off a bout of the stomach flu at this point, but certainly hope to be ready for a dive on Sunday at Goose.  I'll be bringing one extended dive line (150 feet), two ice screws, two pair tongs, hand ice saw, cooker, hot water coolers (two), and sled.

I want to add my support to Shooter’s statement about individual diver safety.  This dive on Sunday is about some certified ice divers going out for a day of diving, with everyone responsible for their own gear and safety.  One of the MNSCUBA moderators put it best, “You dive at your own risk. Dive outings scheduled through this board are not under the control of, sanctioned by, or sponsored by any individual or group. There is NO dive master in charge of these dives. You participate as a diving individual. “  With that said it sounds like we should be able to pool some gear.    I know that most of us have some pieces, and some of us have all the pieces.  I have to agree with Tullibee that just thinking about getting all of the gear ready and packed is enough to make me tired Tongue.  As to the request from Sagacity to come and watch, I think that’s great and would look forward to meeting you.  I especially like your offer of lending a hand ;D. 
I think it could be most helpful if  anyone who is comitted to going would please list out what they could provide, as a couple of folks already have.
02-23-2006, 04:56 PM,

;D

I'm not sure what time frame you guys plan on being there on Sun. I just checked my calendar, and have an apt. at noon.
Shouldn't be too long, so if you'll be diving until any time after 3p, I think I could probably make the tail end of it. If not, then there's always
next time!  ;D

Someone may have posted the time - if so, I missed it in the 2 pages of posts.  :o If not, then what times will the diving be?
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.<br />Blood makes the grass grow, kill, kill, kill!
02-23-2006, 04:58 PM,
Oops, forgot to mention  :-[ It may be a little too late, but, can somone post the details on the Calendar? Maybe w/ times
and the link to the map? Then it'll be in place, and we can just look there for any updates, changes.
02-23-2006, 11:24 PM,
Oh...google earth is fun. ;D

Attached Files
.jpg   shooter.jpg (Size: 78.35 KB / Downloads: 224)
.jpg_thumb   shooter.jpg_thumb (Size: 50.99 KB / Downloads: 0)
02-24-2006, 08:51 AM,

All are welcome, both divers, and non divers.  We are planning on meeting at the lake at 10 a.m. to start setting up.  If you look at the Google Earth map that Lonni posted, we will actually be diving off of the big point to the north and east of the mark on the map.  If you show up before three there's probably good chance that you can get a dive in.  If you're running late,  Just call me at 612- 214-6283, and I will update you with the schedule.

Calendar?  There's a calendar?  I haven't found that area.  It took me about a year to figure out how to post pictures ???  I'm sure I'll figure it  out eventually. :Smile maybe everybody who's planning on attending the ice diving event and also attending the show,  We can get together for a lunch on Saturday?