Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ice diving
03-07-2006, 08:45 PM,
Re: Ice diving
There's hope...
I just got off the phone with shooter and he'll be posting some more info on a possible Saturday dive later.
03-08-2006, 08:21 AM,

Shooter,  sounds like we are on for Bahamas.   sorry I haven't had time to get it coordinated.  You still interested.  Jason called me tonight.  Call me or email me your status.
Quote:

Bags are packed as usual, my status is a go!  Any date and Time's will work fine with me.  As long as I'm not gone more than a week.  Standing by awaiting airport confirmation ;D
03-08-2006, 08:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-08-2006, 09:40 AM by Shooter.)
West Rush Lake dive,dive,dive!

We have a tentative dive schedule Saturday morning, 10 o'clock on Rush Lake.  I am having some difficulty importing the Google image and the Minnesota DNR Lake map. Access the lake from the public access drive straight out from the access.  There will be an island on your left, we used to call it cigar Island .will be set up to dive off the point searching for lost treasure and winning lottery tickets.

:Smile, as usual, everybody is responsible for their own gear and own level of safety :Smile. We will have the stuff we have talked about in this thread on site.  Everyone is welcome!  I will however require a 20%, guide fee for all treasures found ;D ;D ;D
03-10-2006, 07:51 AM,
google map

Attached Files
.jpg   rush lake dive site.jpg (Size: 95.98 KB / Downloads: 284)
.jpg_thumb   rush lake dive site.jpg_thumb (Size: 48.14 KB / Downloads: 0)
03-13-2006, 08:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-13-2006, 02:49 PM by Shooter.)
  Met at the boat landing at approximately 9:30 a.m. and had pre scouted the area from various ice fishing trips, decided to set up on the point off of cigar island.  Always a hot spot for multiple species of fish.  Took all of our gear and loaded on to a snowmobile trailer that was pulled by the four wheeler.  With the warm weather, I didn't feel comfortable driving on the lake.  There were however several full-size trucks driving around on the ice. :o.  After attempting to cut our hole, we soon realized that there was at least 6 inches more ice on Rush than there was on Goose.  The bar on my chainsaw is 18 inches, and we had to use a handsaw for the last 6 inches.  What a workout!

Seconds after dropping in the hole I realize why everybody dives on East Rush,  Instead of West Rush.  The visibility was terrible.  I had thought that with the winter,  Some of the algae would be gone and the visibility would be better ???  I was sorely mistaken.  I had a problem with my seal on my gloves.  So I aborted my dive.  Art was next, and he recovered at various ice fishing paraphernalia from the bottom.  Sorry no pictures today, as everything was really busy.

At this point it was close to noon, and I had a little treat in store for us.  I pulled out some grouper fillets, and some mangrove snapper fillets, and converted our hot water heater into a fish fryer.  Those fillets, along with some onion rings made a tasty lunch. Tongue.  It also gave us the energy to pack up everything on the trailer and head over to East Rush to get a good dive in.  I zipped in a new seal, and we are on our way.

After scouting several locations.  We picked one that looked like it had a lot of ice fishing activity on depth was only 16 feet.  I had the honor of dropping in first and was pleasantly surprised at the 15 foot visibility.  The bottom however was very silty.  You had to stay at least two to 3 feet off the bottom or the motion of your fins would stir things up.  I had a great approximate 25 minute dive stayed warm and dry and got a lot of good exercise.  Maybe a little too much ,that grouper sandwich came back to haunt me. I'm sure being  Upside down, didn't help a lot.  After that was Art 's turn.  I'll let him fill you in on the details of his dive.  It was good to get my diving fix.  Look forward to at least a couple more before ice out
03-14-2006, 07:15 AM,
Great dives ;D.

Wow was that ice thick!

East Rush visibility was very limited, about a foot.  I'm glad I brought my dive light, as it certainly came in handy.  The dive was still quite nice.

Lunch was simply spectacular!  Grouper and Snapper fillets that had to be 2 inches thick, deep fried to perfection. 8) 8).

West Rush had better visibility.  I've neer been able to ice dive two different lakes on the same day before.  The work of opening two holes and setting gear up twice wasx daunting, but well worth it!

I just ordered a new olympus camera to replace my digital sealife >Big Grin.  If anyone3 would be interested I'll be selling my sealife digital dc300 and my sealife film camera :Smile.  I'm hoping to get the opportunity to try it out when it arrives. 

Maybe a trip up to Mangan at Crosby, weekend after next?????
One advantage to the mines is that the ice never seems to get as thick as the lakes.
03-15-2006, 05:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-16-2006, 11:10 AM by Shooter.)
Sat 18th DIVE
Received a message today from my instructor Mr. Bill King, a.k.a. "the boss"  Wink and the diving is on for this weekend.  8) We will be diving out of the scenic Bay resort, out of Aisle,Minnesota on Mille Lacs Lake. This is a smith diving sponsored event.  For those of you who prefer a little more guidance,structure, and assistance :o and would like to get in one last ice dive this winter,  I would recommend being at this location.  I believe you need to be a certified ice diver. For further information contact smith diving 763-574-1280.
03-15-2006, 06:03 PM,
My thanks to Shooter!
I just wanted to say a BIG thank you to Shooter for sending that delicious fish home with Art after you guys dove on Sat.  It was delicious!!   ;D
I sure appreciate you thinking of me!  Also, it is so great that you've been there to buddy up with Art for these ice dives.  Many thanks for getting me off the hook of line tending!  ;D  The curse is officially lifted (and has been for awhile  Wink )

Aly
03-16-2006, 10:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-16-2006, 12:43 PM by Shooter.)
You're more than welcome.  I had a great time diving with Art.  It was my pleasure.  It is sometimes hard for me to find people who have the same level of enthusiasm for diving as I do.  Now that the curse is officially lifted maybe the seas in the Gulf will lay down for a weekend of spear fishing

I'm glad you enjoyed the fish.  After Art and I make it to the Florida middle grounds on a spear fishing trip,  I'm sure he will bring back at least 20 pounds of those fillets. 8)
03-16-2006, 02:20 PM,
Aly, be glad that I didn't join the gang for the diving this time -- there might not have been any leftovers! 

I was tempted, but was still feeling the effects of some dental work, and didn't think the cold water immersion would have felt too good!  Hopefully I can meet up again a time or two before the ice gets too thin!  I think I have stuff for the next few weekends, but hopefully can still work in a day or two around Crosby in early April -- any thoughts on that for a possibility anyone?
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!