Remember me
Lost Password Register

DAN
01-12-2006, 09:36 PM,
DAN
Anybody know anything about this? Is it a waste to renew? Is there anyone else? Will these questions ever end?

01-12-2006, 11:31 PM,
Re: DAN
And here's DAN's press release in response.

01-18-2006, 08:45 PM,
I just renewed mine. I think it is a very good idea. And a must if you are planning travels. Look into your insurance policy and see if recompression chambers, helicopter transportation and so forth is part of your policy. These costs can add up quickly if you are not covered.

my 2 cents
01-19-2006, 11:11 AM,
I just renewed through DAN because it is well known.
NAUI has recently added insurance coverage. Somewhat cheaper and you don't have to become a member of anything to join. I will probably look into it again after it is more established. I would not be worried about DAN coverage.
Leon
03-10-2006, 09:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-10-2006, 11:27 AM by LKunze.)
For Immediate Release

EFFECTIVE MARCH 9, 2006, AND UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, DAN America dive insurance is no longer accepted for payment at hyperbaric chambers in following dive destinations:

Bahamas
Baja California
Belize
Cancun
Cozumel
Galapagos
Phuket, Thailand
Playa del Carmen
Samui, Thailand
Yucatan, Mexico

All divers carrying DAN America dive insurance and diving in these locations should be prepared to pay out-of-pocket for any medical service rendered, because these chambers will not accept DAN America’s insurance or DAN America’s credit card as a method of payment. Hyperbaric chambers in other locations are currently considering joining this group and not accepting DAN America insurance.

This consortium of chambers has been forced to sue DAN America in federal court in the United States due to unpaid medical claims, some dating as far back as 2004. The financial burden of not being paid has forced several chambers in remote locations to consider closing down. In order to remain open, these chambers can no longer treat DAN America patients and not be paid.

Of note, while DAN America is a non-profit research organization based in the US, its insurance product is underwritten/re-insured by a for-profit organization that is wholly-owned by DAN America called Accident & General Insurance Ltd., based in the Cayman Islands. DAN America has claimed a rate dispute as the reason for non-payment, saying that the rates are above what DAN America considers reasonable and customary in the locality. However, major medical insurers (including Blue Cross Blue
Shield, Humana, Prudential and Kaiser Permanente), DAN Europe, DAN Southern Africa, DAN SEAP as well as all other dive insurers have accepted these same rates as appropriate and paid their bills.

This action only applies to DAN America insurance and not any other insurance coverage including DAN Europe, DAN Southern Africa, DAN Japan or DAN SEAP.

For further information regarding DAN America’s for-profit subsidiaries, please see the last 5 pages of their latest IRS tax filing here:

For further information regarding DAN America’s performance as a non-profit organization, please see the report from Charity Navigator, an independent evaluator of non-profits, who gives DAN America an overall rating of one out of four stars:
03-13-2006, 01:15 PM,
I spoke with DAN about this. The case is pending, and those chambers will not accept DAN insurance as payment. They did say, however, that if something were to happen, you would have to pay out-of-pocket, but, they would work with your credit card company to get funds availible, or whatever, and you would then be reimbursed.

This still kinda freaks me out...what if you're near the end of your trip, and out of money? I just got DAN insurance in December, and we're leaving for Cozumel on the 15th; only to find out we're not covered. Nuts I say!
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.<br />Blood makes the grass grow, kill, kill, kill!
03-13-2006, 01:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-13-2006, 01:23 PM by LKunze.)
If I were going on a dive trip that was one of the locations not covered by DAN I would buy insurance from someone else like Diveassure or NAUI .  I wouldn't accept a verbal statement from DAN that they will reimburse you.  That's unacceptable.  I too have DAN insurance but I'd think twice about going on a trip without another insurance plan in place.  Just my two cents.
03-13-2006, 01:57 PM,
Very good points. NAUI seems to be good coverage for reasonable rates (only $90 for a family plan, and covers Travel)  Big Grin I almost forgot about them! Thank you for your post!  ;D
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.<br />Blood makes the grass grow, kill, kill, kill!
03-13-2006, 10:50 PM,

I read somewhere on scubaboard I think, that only one chamber on Coz is involved and the other two still takes DAN. Best advice though is don't get bent. ;D
03-14-2006, 06:45 PM,
FYI: Statement from DAN.

Important Public Statement from Divers Alert Network

DAN responds to latest unfortunate email blast sent to the dive industry.

We deeply regret that many DAN members and others in the diving community were the focus of a broadcast email campaign by the SSS Network. The latest statement from SSS is designed to intimidate and frighten DAN members, and much of the information is untrue, misleading and contradicts previous statements from chambers within the SSS Network. DAN and SSS are in dispute over the excessive treatment charges, which DAN believes are not reasonable and customary in comparison to other hyperbaric chambers and will damage the diving industry long term if not addressed now. By refusing to accept DAN insurance, SSS is attempting to place the burden of payment on the diver in order to gain leverage to force DAN's insurer to accept higher treatment charges.

We find it hard to believe that SSS facilities would be closing due to insurance issues involving DAN's insurer. SSS has claimed that insurance purchased through DAN represents only a small percentage of their business.

They have now stated that some of this is being driven by a slowdown in diving travel, especially to dive locations that experienced hurricane and tsunami damage. DAN has always supported remote facilities through our

Recompression Chamber Assistance Program (RCAP). This program is part of the not-for-profit mission of DAN, and provides equipment to help chambers remain fully operational so they can remain open and viable and assist divers in need without having to resort to overcharging injured divers.

The recent SSS press release implies that there is something suspicious about Accident & General Insurance, Ltd. (AGI), a wholly-owned subsidiary of DAN that underwrites a portion of the diver accident insurance purchased through DAN. On the contrary, DAN has referenced AGI in all of its publications and presentations about DAN. Revenue generated by AGI supports DAN's mission activities including medical services and research. No DAN employees receive compensation from AGI.

DAN has worked hard to bring this dispute to an equitable resolution. A court date is set for early May 2006. A mediation session is scheduled for late March. The tactics employed by SSS are unfortunate choices in a dispute that we choose to handle in a more professional manner. While SSS keeps changing its position (see DAN website for a chronological records of their statements), DAN has always maintained a consistent message and approach to the issue:

A. DAN Members will be treated at all SSS recompression chambers

B. DAN Members with Dive Accident Insurance purchased through DAN are fully covered

C. In the event of a dive injury, call the DAN Emergency Hotline immediately

D. DAN will handle all the necessary matters and no DAN member will be out of pocket

DAN has been here to protect divers for over 25 years and during that time we have been true to our mission to keep divers and our sport as safe as possible. We will continue to do so. DAN is and will remain "Your Dive Safety Association."