Remember me
Lost Password Register

Remains found of diver believed missing for decades
01-23-2006, 12:05 PM,
Remains found of diver believed missing for decades
January 23, 2006, 11:02 AM EST

COLLINS LANDING, N.Y. (AP) _ The remains of a scuba diver believed to have been missing for decades were found in the St. Lawrence River.

Recreational divers found the remains, covered with soot and zebra mussels, on Sunday in the narrows between Wellesley Island the American bank of the river, about 20 miles north of Watertown.

State Police Investigator Michael Marvin said it will likely take a couple of days, if not more, to identify the body. He said what is left of it _ a skull and upper torso bones _ appears to have been preserved by the cool water.

"We may have some possible DNA, but that's up for the doctor to make the call," he said.

A trio of divers were on their way back to the surface when they came upon a tubular object sticking up out of river's floor, about 140 feet down.

"I almost passed it up, but it looked out of place," diver John Krake told the Watertown Daily Times.

After scraping off zebra mussels, he found a yellow oxygen tank.

"I thought, 'My goodness, I've found somebody's gear here,"' he said.

He tugged on the tank and very quickly realized it was more than scuba equipment. He saw bones in a partial wet suit, which was entangled in a diving line.

The Times' archives lists one instance of a missing diver from the '80s in that area. Brett W. Schirmer, 21, of Rochester, went missing in August 1981. Schirmer and a companion were searching for a ship wreck.

[url]http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wi...gion-apnewyork
[/url]
02-03-2006, 10:03 AM,
Re: Remains found of diver believed missing for decades
WOW, what a story!
03-20-2006, 07:22 AM,
GADS !!!!

Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
03-20-2006, 03:54 PM,
wow again.  I haven't had a chance to read the AP article or hear anything about it on the CNN yet,  but I was wondering if the diver who found the diver, tied a marker line off on it and let the authorities do a forensic study of the scene. 

It would be interesting to see if it was the rope that tangled the diver up, and was the ultimate cause of the death.  We can all learn from the findings of the professionals. 

At least if it is the diver that was missing, his family can have some final resolve.  This type of accidental death, should be a lesson to all of us divers.  I will look forward to reading more about the story.

Thanks LKUNZE FOR SHARING THE STORY.

MaxFactor