Remember me
Lost Password Register

And I thought Northwest was bad
01-30-2006, 10:11 PM,
Re: And I thought Northwest was bad
Just flew SunCountry to Los Cabos over Xmas & New Years.

I checked one large bag containing fins, BCD, boots, gloves, wetsuit, etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah....No problem.

I had one carry-on (a Pelican Case) inside was a wrist mount dive computer, regulator, mask, Video Camera Housing, CamCorder, several tapes, batteries and charger.

I love it when they let you see the X-Ray image of that case. I'd inspect it too ;-))

So the pelican case got a funny look and a direct inspection at the security checkpoint....No problems and no mention of not allowing scuba equipment.

You'll be just fine. Besides, the people checking at the security checkpoint work for TSA not SunCountry? Why would they give a rip!
01-31-2006, 08:32 AM,
Thanks for all the input, I'm just goint to assume the person I talked to on the phone didn't know what she was talking about.
02-01-2006, 03:20 PM,
Here is some information that we found out about airline travel with scuba gear. 

check out the following link.

Scuba Dive and Travel<br />4423 Nicollet Ave. So.<br />Minneapolis, MN 55419<br />612-823-7210<br />www.scubadiveandtravel.com<br />scubadivetravel@qwestoffice.net
02-03-2006, 12:26 AM,
just got back from rivera maya, flew suncountry to cancun with gear.  I have never been happier with suncountry, no charge for gear ( it was within the 2 bag per person limit).  TSA definately searched the regulator bags when they went through the xray, but no problems with it.

we actually got 3 rounds of beverages, a snack, and a breakfast sandwich on a 3.5 hour flight.  not saying the sandwich was good, but never had that much service on any flight.

it was probably a case of the person didn't know what they were talking about on the phone.

good luck and enjoy the dives.
Brian
02-03-2006, 08:58 AM,

On the website, it reads that there's a $40 charge. Glad to hear they didn't charge you. I hope that's an rule rather than the exception Big Grin

So how was it down there? How was the diving? Did you hear anything about Cozumel while there? Do you have pix of your trip?  ???

>Big Grin
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.<br />Blood makes the grass grow, kill, kill, kill!
02-06-2006, 09:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2006, 09:27 AM by Brian27.)
I didn't hear much about Cozumel, but it seems like things are "ok" south of Cancun.  They are doing a good job of cleaning up the hotel areas, but just off the hotel grounds the beaches have some garbage, debris around.

There was a lot of coral washing up on the beach, but the dives were great.  The dive shop did a good job of taking us to places where visibility was good and dives were great.  We wanted to do a deeper dive of 90', but they said we would be better off doing a 40' dive at this one reef because the visibility was better and more wildlife.  They were right :-)

We dove through , I think they may have a place in cozumel.

No pictures of diving,  just wanted to enjoy my first dives in the ocean without a camera (have done several lake dives but this was the first time to the ocean).
Brian
03-01-2006, 07:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-01-2006, 11:38 PM by JD.)
I usually fly Sun Country.

I have NEVER had an issue with dive gear while flying on them.  They will not take any cylinders, empty or full, however.  It has something to do with their cargo certifications.  Cylinders are considered HazMat.

I have not had to pay any extra fees for my gear either.  On the FAQ site they mention their restrictions and a fee.  I called to ask about the "one per" requirement.  I was able to carry two sets of mask, fins, snorkels without incident.  Weight was the bigger issue. They will charge because of weight, not content.  
More weight onboard=more fuel used=more cost to the carrier=more cost to you! 
I leave my weights, and cylinders at home.  Less expense and headache just to rent them when you get there! Wink

Your checked baggage is subject to x-ray and search.  This is not specific to any one airline.  That is how they know what you are carrying.

SCA has been my best choice for flying.  They still have personalities and will even still serve you some sort of food Smile

My personal experience has been nothing but headaches lately with NWA, Delta, and ATA! 
03-08-2006, 12:14 PM,
Most airline policies that I have read state that they will charge extra for SCUBA gear, but I've never been assigned a fee for anything.
-Dave
03-08-2006, 07:20 PM,
Your checked baggage is subject to x-ray and search.  This is not specific to any one airline.  That is how they know what you are carrying.

SCA has been my best choice for flying.  They still have personalities and will even still serve you some sort of food Smile

My personal experience has been nothing but headaches lately with NWA, Delta, and ATA! 
[/quote]
The bags are x-rayed by the TSA not the airlines. FYI just got back from Coz this past Sat. flew Champion weight limit 44lbs unbelievable.....................
03-08-2006, 08:32 PM,
FYI just got back from Coz TODAY  Sad. flew Champion weight limit 44lbs unbelievable.....................My dive gear weight was 51 lbs,it  was a little wet, so I was going to move some stuff around and when they saw it was dive gear they said " no charge for over weight dive gear  ;D