Remember me
Lost Password Register

PADI Refresher
01-30-2006, 01:56 PM,
PADI Refresher
Hey all,
  New to this forum and MN, looking into getting back into diving I was certified some time ago and haven't logged a dive in over 6 years.  I'm looking for advice on moving up cert. levels and gear i should be looking for.  I'm at Open Water right now and would like to push for Master Diver by the end of 2008.  I appreciate the input, and hope to see you in the water!
01-30-2006, 03:06 PM,
Re: PADI Refresher
Welcome

you will find lots of good info here on the forum, things are a little slow this time of year but it is a good place to find people to dive with and to pick the brains of knowlageable people.

My first suggestion is to find a shop close to you and talk with the people and if you feel comftorable sign up for a refresher course, from there just get wet, your next step will be the advanced open water cert.  If you want something you can do during the winter you can go and get your CPR and First aid.  You will need them for the next step which is rescue diver.

Good luck I am on a similar quest I would like my DM before june of 07, I will be taking my Rescue Diver this spring.

Doug
AOW
01-30-2006, 06:46 PM,
Welcome to Minnesota.  You don't say where you came from, but your lucky to be here where we've got such an active dive community.  Most area dive shops offer lots of local (and exotic) dives and events during the year.  Check out our (and others) website at for a calendar listing of our fun dives and events.  We are a NAUI/CMAS shop but all certified divers are welcome at our dives and in our classes.  We offer a regularly scheduled scuba refresher session (either classroom and pool or pool only).  Stop in the shop sometime, we'd love to meet you, Lee
01-31-2006, 09:33 AM,

Welcome! I too am fairly new to this forum and MN. Where are you from originally? I moved here in October from Philadelphia.

I'm very much looking forward the summer here - after all, Minnesota IS the land of 10,000 lakes (although aren't there more like 15,000)  ???

Do you currently have gear? If not - just to get you started again w/o a big budget chomp - look for some used/refurbished gear from the local shops. eBay might be ok, but. unlike your local shop, you can't trust the source.

I'm going for my Advanced in March - but it'll be in lovely Cozumel Big Grin I can't wait - as this summer I was to dive the Jersey shore for sunken, WWII German U-Boats.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on. You found a great site to connect with other local divers - they're been most helpful!
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.<br />Blood makes the grass grow, kill, kill, kill!
01-31-2006, 01:22 PM,
I'm originally from Janesville, WI.  Just Graduated from UW-LaCrosse, now living in Rochester,MN.  Just went to MDC Sports for info, nice shop.  All I have for gear is a snorkel set up (in good shape) and a light.
02-01-2006, 02:35 PM,
Take a refresher course first, because gear has come a long way in the past few years. Then get out and dive.

Refrain from taking an Advanced Course for now, just get wet. I am sure your buoyancy probably needs a little "tweaking", so just get out there and dive.

Don't be in a hurry to buy gear, rent for a summer to see what works best for you.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
02-07-2006, 01:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2006, 01:37 PM by mockturtle80.)
Well, I'm signed up for the refesher at MDC sports for March 25th and 26th!  I'm very excited.  It's the first step on my journey to divemaster.  Now i've got to find a second job to pay for all my classes and eventual gear.
02-07-2006, 01:24 PM,

That's awesome! Congrats! I'm actually hooking up w/ the Red Cross for CPR training, as a step towards Rescue Diver - and ultimatle Divemaster. I should have Advanced done by end of March. Next will be finding a local shop that can train Rescue Diver.

Sheesh, I've been certified for 15 years, its about time I move on, LOL Big Grin

Good Luck!
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.<br />Blood makes the grass grow, kill, kill, kill!
02-07-2006, 09:15 PM,
Befor you make big plans of becomming a dive master or what not try getting back in the water. Skills are more important then cards.
02-07-2006, 09:29 PM,

Are you talking to me? I've been in the water.....many times....New Jersey...Aruba...New York...Florida, soon in Minnesota, etc.
If not, then sorry for the misunderstanding. Your post was right under mine.