Remember me
Lost Password Register

10 Watt HID Replacement bulbs
02-02-2006, 08:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2006, 09:44 PM by jleech.)
10 Watt HID Replacement bulbs
I recently had to replace my HID bulb in my light, and found the price to be fairly high.  ($139) (WelchAllyn Part# M10P001-1)
  I found a site that has them for $70 if you purchase 5 or more, or $76 for just one.

Anyone interested in getting a group purchase together? 

Or does anyone else know of a cheaper place to get replacements?

Jeff Leech
Jeff
02-09-2006, 08:13 PM,
Re: 10 Watt HID Replacement bulbs
Jeff,
I can get them for $49 each, one-up.  Replacement ballast is $39.  They have been very funny about selling them.  First time I bought, balllast and bulb were each $39.  Second time they wouldn't sell any.  Last time was the price noted above.  Who knows what response I'll get, but I am ordering more if I can.
Call me.  Bonni has my number if you don't.
Dan
Dan L
02-10-2006, 02:30 PM,
I could use a spare bulb let me know and Ill get you my cash. If you cant find enough intrest I would be willing to get two.
02-10-2006, 05:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2006, 07:46 PM by LKunze.)
Dan, are those Welch Allyn bulbs?  I've had tough luck with those.  They are extremely fragile.  I replaced two last year and I take pretty good care of my gear.  I thought for sure I'd break a third one just doing a giant stride off the boat in the Bahamas but it survived.  :Smile The Brightstar bulbs are the way to go from what I hear but are not a drop in replacement for the WA bulbs unfortunately. Sad
02-10-2006, 10:21 PM,
Lonnie,
What light do you have - watts and mfgr, and what is the bulb configuration - bare bulb or MR11 (bulb in reflector and base assembly)?
Your comments about Brighstar is similar to what I have seen in forum posts for 18 and 21 W bulbs. but for Brighstar MR-11's, I've seen nothing about them being tougher than WA MR11's.  I have seen a post or two saying that when bought in bulk, a certain percentage of the Chinese Brighstars don't work.  I have seen plenty of posts about DiveRite bulb failures and cord failures.  Now that I've built a number of lights, I think Dive Rite has a bunch of weaknesses: choice of cord, choice of sealing gland with no decent strain relief and inadequate shock cushioning of the bulb in the lighthead.
For what it's worth, I've built four WA 10W MR-11 lightheads now over the past year and a half, and none have failed.  One has been on many cold deco dives including the Kamloops, another on two Isle Royale and a Copper Harbor wreck trips and a bunch of knocking around, another has been on about 16 cave dives now and has been banged around alot in luggage, etc.  The fourth is with a diveshop operator in Coz for cave and technical dives - that should be the real test, but so far so good.
The WA MR11 bulb is used as headlights in sport motorcycles and in ATV's.  Can't get more abuse than that.  The key there is that the manufacturer, TrailTech, puts the bulbs in a cushioned housing.
I am using PVC components for the lighthead, with a slip fit for the ballast and a foam collar cushion around the reflector rim on the MR11.  I have actually dropped this design with no problem.
Sorry so longwinded, but basically I think its a problem of lighthead design and not an inherently delicate bulb.
Pic shows lighthead.  Note light is on my left hand - interesting story.

Attached Files
.jpg   LightheadCave.jpg (Size: 68.6 KB / Downloads: 294)
.jpg_thumb   LightheadCave.jpg_thumb (Size: 31.69 KB / Downloads: 0)
Dan L
02-11-2006, 08:31 AM,
Thanks for the info Dan.  Having shock absorbing material in the light head sounds like the real key then.  I've just learned the hard way to be extremely careful with my light head.  I'm not sure what type of bulb my light uses but it's a focusable head so maybe it uses a different bulb than the fixed focus lights you are building as well.
02-23-2006, 10:16 AM,
Hi can any one tell me were to get 18watt hid bulbs for halcyon helios 9 torch, i live in GB prices are sky high.

Cheers dell
04-04-2006, 07:38 PM,
DanL, 
        do you have a contact email or phone number for the mr-11 hid bulb/ballasts you discribed for $49. bucks? I just picked up a used lighthead and already have a cannister. thanks
04-04-2006, 08:15 PM,

I'm not sure exactly who he got the bulbs from, but the price had gone up to just under $70 with shipping.  He got one for me, and I think one for himself.  I believe he was calling an outfit called Trail Tech, that makes accessories for ATV's.

Jeff Leech
Jeff
04-04-2006, 09:56 PM,
I believe he was calling an outfit called Trail Tech, that makes accessories for ATV's.

Jeff Leech
[/quote]
Correct, I got one too.