Remember me
Lost Password Register

FYI: Oceanic Versa Pro 2A recall.
05-09-2006, 07:13 PM,
FYI: Oceanic Versa Pro 2A recall.
Just and FYI: Oceanic is recalling a computer.   Sad

For the Oceanic Versa Pro 2A: "While operating in the User Selected Digital Gauge Mode, displayed Elapsed Dive Time can be in excess of actual elapsed time. "

For additional details, visit this website:
05-10-2006, 03:46 PM,
Re: FYI: Oceanic Versa Pro 2A recall.

Well, at least it failed on the side of caution....
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.<br />Blood makes the grass grow, kill, kill, kill!
05-10-2006, 05:36 PM,
My general opinion of Oceanic.
When I 1st started diving, (99) I bought 3 Oceanic computers (data plus) I think. Within 2 months 2 of them were sent back to the factory. I sold one of them and upgraded to a Pro plus. I had less than 20 dives on it before it gave up the ghost. In Oceanics favor they always took care of it. It was a good thing I had three so I had a spare.
Ron at GUDC was good enough to loan me a cobra because the pro-plus quit 3 days before a planned Coz trip. (pays to buy from a dive store)
When I got back I had a new Pro plus waiting for me. I sold It and bought a new Cobra. That was in May of 2001. Later that year I also sold 1 of the other Oceanics and got my dive buddy a Cobra.
Now 6 years later we still use those Cobras. They have never been to a shop for anything.
I still have the 3rd Oceanic and just have around to borrow to people that forget theirs or it takes a dump.

I guess I'm sold on Suunto.

You probably ask why 3. Me, wife and son all started diving at the same time.
CJ
05-10-2006, 08:54 PM,
EEK! My gf and I just bought Pro Plus 2's (used) Her's already has water damage (after 10 dives in Coz) and needed repair. Mine is good so far (fingers crossed)

Very sad to hear about Oceanic, b/c so far, I lke my Pro Plus 2
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.<br />Blood makes the grass grow, kill, kill, kill!
05-10-2006, 09:44 PM,
I dive oceanic computers and really like them.   The original post was in no way a dig at Oceanic.  I just wanted people to know about the recall if they did not already know.

I currently have three Oceanic computers, two to dive with and a spare.  I have had several over the last 10 years or so and really like the brand.  I have owned two other brands and find the Oceanic easier to use, not to mention the REALLY BIG DIGITS on the display for my aging eyes.  My main computer is now the VT Pro air integrated version.  I must have about 200 dives on it, not one bit of trouble.  Darn nice machine.   To be fair, I have had one computer a few years back with problems and Oceanic provided superb service.

Here is how good Oceanic service is.  A buddy of mine has the older version of the air integrated computer he got new on-line.  Wow, what a mistake that was.  It simply would not work.  He got it exchanged and that exchange had problems as well.  Then fine on-line "Scuba Retailer" hosed him and he could not get a working one from them.  He sent it directly to Oceanic.  Even though the on-line place was not an authorized dealer, Oceanic stepped up to the plate and for a nominal fee, sent him a brand new factory warrantied unit.  He has had it for years and must have  several hundred dives on it with out problems.   

I think that many of the computers are pretty similar (if not made by the same mfg. just with a different bodies for differnet brands). They are computers in small plastic packages, some will fail, some will leak, some will work great for a really long time, it is the nature of the beast.  For what it is worth, here are a few things I have learned about them. First, buy from an authorized retailer that is local so you can walk back in to get help if you need it Wink.  Also, none of them are made to be dropped in the Maderia parking lot >Sad, in any way put under a tank  :'((particularly in a moving boat) and that even if it is a "hockey puck" design - you can't use it as a hockey puck!   :o                                           
05-10-2006, 09:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-11-2006, 09:17 PM by DiverQueen.)
Don't give us that "Aging Eyes" bit....not buying it since you and I are the same age!  I recently picked up a gently used Oceanic Data Trans...If it ever gets recalled, please let me know!
LW
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
05-11-2006, 10:00 AM,
You are absolutley right about the big digits on a pro plus. I do miss that.
CJ
05-11-2006, 11:05 AM,
I like to check here from time to time for recalls - seems to be pretty up-to-date. I'm sure there are others: