Remember me
Lost Password Register

Heat May Be Creating Toxic Algae
07-13-2006, 11:58 PM,
Just when you thought it was safe to go to the deep end...

© 2006 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

(AP) St. Paul This week's stretch of hot weather in Minnesota may be producing blue-green algae, a toxic algae in Minnesota lakes that can harm animals and people, state pollution regulators said Thursday.

Workers with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency found several dead bullheads on Goose Lake in White Bear Lake this week, and a severe bloom of algae may be the cause, the agency said.

"Conditions are now ripe for creating severe algae blooms," MPCA lakes expert Steve Heiskary said in a news release. "We're starting to get reports and inquiries from around the state about algae, and people are especially concerned about blue-green algae."

While algae are a natural part of the ecosystem, under the right conditions they can grow dramatically, turning water cloudy and green. Blue-green algae thrive in warm and shallow lakes that are rich in nutrients. Most health problems happen when algae concentrate around a shoreline and animals drink the water or otherwise ingest the algae.

Human health effects can include irritation of the skin, eyes and nasal passages, nausea and vomiting. Extreme cases can produce paralysis and respiratory failure, the according to the agency.
© 2006 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements.
07-14-2006, 07:19 AM,
Re: Heat May Be Creating Toxic Algae
I have not had a chance to go diving locally at all so far this year. But with the heat this weekend i am planning on diving somewhere locally.  Just thought i would check to see who has recently dove Square lake , other local lakes and what were the conditions?
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
07-14-2006, 09:13 AM,
Square sucks right now.  I'd avoid diving there for awhile. Why pay money to dive in mud colored water. Perch is ok right now...maybe about 8 feet of viz in between a depth of 25 and 40 feet and slightly less above that.  That's probably the best bet locally.
07-14-2006, 11:58 AM,
Where is Perch Lake?
07-14-2006, 02:20 PM,
Perch Lake is east of Stillwater on Hwy E and Perch Lake Rd.

07-14-2006, 02:27 PM,
LOL...they're a bit off on the depth at that link.  It doesn't get to 90 feet...max depth is about 60 feet.
07-16-2006, 09:26 PM,
60 is fine too.  I wouldn't be going to Perch to hit any depth.  I'd be going because it is close.  For depth I would go to Wazee or Crosby. 
07-16-2006, 10:35 PM,
Perch Update!
I dove Perch this past Friday (07/14/2006) and visibility was in the 5 foot range between 0-20ft opening up by 1-2 feet in the 30-40 foot range before getting worse again below 44ft.

The website is most assuredly wrong claiming 90' depth, best I ever had there was 61ft and I really had to search for it.

The website also omits that it is home to Rainbow Trout of which I saw (2) on my night dive.

Also, there is a missing Diamond Ring at the cause pipe rip-rap if you find it and wish to return it I have the contact information of the person who lost it.
07-23-2006, 02:14 PM,
Lakes around this area (Forest Lake, MN ) have all turned green. No diving around here for awhile.
  I am a new diver and have only dove at Square Lake. I would like to dive Perch Lake.  Is there a designated dive entry area or is it in the main park beach area?
  Also I may be able to help the person that lost the ring as I have an underwater metal detector.

Greg
We don`t quit playing because we grow old,,,,We grow old because we quit playing!!
07-23-2006, 04:33 PM,
Greg, most of us dive from the public boat launch access.  I have yet to go over to the park side.  There is a fee to get in at the park but the boat launch access is free and is a pretty decent access.  You park up in the parking lot and then walk down the stairs and cross the road to the water access.  I was out there yesterday.  The viz is down, it's only about 5 to 8 feet right now.