Remember me
Lost Password Register

wetsuit diving in winter....
02-19-2006, 08:16 PM,
wetsuit diving in winter....
To those who actually dive in a wetsuit during this time of year...what is it like? Any city lakes not frozen over?
02-20-2006, 06:12 PM,
Re: wetsuit diving in winter....
you are starting to think about it more and more, aren't you?

C'mon it would be fun.... I bet "Goat Lord" would be up for it :o
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)
02-21-2006, 09:52 PM,
Of course I'm thinking about it... or else I wouldn't have brought it up.  :Smile By Goat Lord...would that be the one who came with us but has disappeared since we all returned? My BC is in the shop tho.
02-22-2006, 05:46 PM,
I dive in a wet/dry suit      7mm thick,  got 4 dives in at Square lake a couple of weekends ago, and had a ball. Walked upside down on ice.  Never did I get cold.  Water temp was just a bit under 39 37  depending on where you dove.  closer to shore, colder.  Several of the divers that had regular dry suits did get cold. 

02-22-2006, 07:54 PM,

Haha yeah, i find it hilarious how some people get FREEZING cold while some people in similar situations find themselves perfectly warm. The problem for me is letting myself know I'm cold,,,,,, ;D

ps (I've never ice dove but I didn't camp outside last friday night in the -15 or so degrees)  Wink,
02-22-2006, 08:05 PM,

No that fellow  seems to have disappeared. I am still trying to get his set of pictures from the trip to him. The "Goat Lord" is a hard core diver from Uptown. (He must not have seen the thread yet) He is itchin to get back in the water again
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)
02-22-2006, 10:44 PM,
Yes, I'm itching to get  back in the water again. Just in water not cert. to go under ice. Tho I'd like to check out all the prep that goes into an ice dive.
02-23-2006, 07:45 AM,
i also have a 7mm wet suite did not not think that would be warm enough but i guess i have not tried it either, never even thought about it  but i am now
02-23-2006, 08:25 AM,
I dove for years under the ice etc. in a wet suit. Never had a problem with the cold. Bring along a thermos of warm water to pour inside your wetsuit and gloves before the dive and have a nice place to warm up after. My friend Kat had to change out of her wetsuit and swimsuit in the unheated back of my pickup truck once. (She's definitely hardcore...) More or less just plan ahead and it will be a great dive.
Rick Richter ~~~
Silent Helm
Underwater Productions
02-23-2006, 09:57 PM,
thanks for the advise about the thermos. I will have to try it out sometime.  Smile