Remember me
Lost Password Register

Equipment Repair & Maint.
03-22-2006, 12:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-24-2006, 06:27 PM by LKunze.)
Equipment Repair & Maint.
OK  OK.....  I just took an equiptment repair course at GUDC in Maple Grove.  I must tell you that the instructor that taught the class  Chuck Northrup is probably one of the most knowledgable guys in the business I have ever met. 

He was taking apart regulators and putting them back together with such skill and rote memory of every detail of the manufacturers specs.  I am sure if you watched him, you too would be equally impressed.  I even believe in my best business judgment that he could put them together BLIND FOLDED.    I don't know of any other shop, or store manager, instructor in the city that can do that. 

What I also learned and was totally shocked when we did a visual on an Alum. 80  that looked in perfect condition, that it was totally a death trap waiting to happen from the bad gas the owner got.  Apparently the guy purchased the tank on EBAY,  paid good money for it, and to the average guy,  the tank looked brand new,  turned out to be worthless.  Makes you go hummmmm about getting "the deal" by saving 25 bucks. 

When it comes to air fills.........
Pro dive shops and believe me  NOT ALL ARE THE SAME.....  have different standards in the filtration system that they use.  Ask your dive shop, if they filter your air 5 times before it goes into your tank. 

THE MAIN LESSON I LEARNED in the class, some repairs you can make on your own,  and some are best left to the PRO's.  Bring you equiptment into a PRO DIVE SHOP, that NOT ONLY SELLS TOP OF THE LINE EQUIPTMENT,  BUT KNOWS HOW TO SERVICE IT. 

AS A FRIENDLY REMINDER,    get your main gear checked out and ready for  this years diving before you have a failure. 

SEE YOU DIVING. 

MaxFactor
03-24-2006, 12:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-24-2006, 06:27 PM by LKunze.)
Re: Equipment Repair & Maint.
Chuck, do you also go by the name MaxFactor?
03-24-2006, 12:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-24-2006, 06:27 PM by LKunze.)
yes.  lol......  just kiddin.  Chuck had no idea I would be saying anything positive about him.  I assure you  it  came from my heart, and experience that I posted it.

maxfactor
joe burnett
03-24-2006, 01:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-24-2006, 06:27 PM by LKunze.)

NO!

I probably would have seen this post earlier to clarify...but I guess the blindfold got in the way  Tongue

I don't do anything more or less than any friendly neighborhood reg tech can do.  Thanks for the compliments Joe,  glad you enjoyed the class, but I am just a dive bum trying to make a living doing what I love  :Smile
Don't believe the hype!
03-25-2006, 12:59 PM,
Chuck do you also drive your car blindfolded?
03-25-2006, 04:17 PM,

NO!

I probably would have seen this post earlier to clarify...but I guess the blindfold got in the way  Tongue

I don't do anything more or less than any friendly neighborhood reg tech can do.  Thanks for the compliments Joe,  glad you enjoyed the class, but I am just a dive bum trying to make a living doing what I love  :Smile

[/quote]Yes you do Dive, and yes you are a B.U.M.. However as you know Dive Instructor or Dive store managers just do it for the Love and fun of it. Everybody in the Dive industry is independently wealthy.
B.U.M. up above is ???. I'll let the other people figure it out.
CJ